Stereo to Mono

Hello, I am in search of some help.

I know the basics about sound and such, but none of the really
technical stuff.  I am looking to do something that seems almost
impossible to me to do properly without messing anything up.

I need to take two stereo line level signals, and turn them into two
mono line level signals (or if that isn't possible one mono line level
signal would work).  I can buy or build anything, just need to know
exactly what and how.

This is why I need it:

We have a very complex setup for our audio video system.  We have 2
seperat AV Recievers and over 18 pieces of equipment.  We have over 15
speakers in 8 rooms (7 in our main room, 2 in 2 others, and 1 in the
rest).

With our old reciever and our new reciever we can get signals to
everything, and with the old reciever's bypass mode, it sounds right
everywhere except in two rooms that each have a single speaker.  We
are feeding them from the Zone 2 preout's of the new reciever.  This
reciever does not have the option to make this output mono.  We have a
seperate stereo amplifier that powers each speaker.

They need to be mono so that each room gets the full signal and not
just one channel of a stereo signal.

Any suggestions, tips, etc?

Re: Stereo to Mono

You can add 2 stereo signals together to get one
mono signal, which you can then feed to two or more
mono channels.

You may be able to get away with a simple 'Y' connector
to combine the stereo signals, but that depends upon
their being a certain amount of output resistance in each
stereo driver.  Think of the case when one of the channels
is momentarily at zero and the other is at peak:  The channel
at zero behaves like a ground connection, so if you just
connect the two stereo outputs directly, the channel at
peak is effectively shorted to ground.  The only thing that
limits its current is the output resistance of each channel.

So, to play it safe, put equal-valued resistors in each output;
anything from about 1k to 10k should be fine.  Connect
the free ends of the resistors together and use that point to feed
your mono channel inputs.  Connect all the shields together
directly.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

              DAQARTA  v3.50
   Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
             www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
        Science with your sound card!

Re: Stereo to Mono

This sounds good and like something that I can do, but I am not sure
that I understand exactly how to make the cables and such.  Is it
possible for you to make or point me to a diagram of some sort of what
it should be?  thanks!

Re: Stereo to Mono

View in mono-spaced font:

Right In --------- 2k--------.

Left In  ----------2k--------o-------- Mono Out

Right Gnd ----o----------------------- Mono Gnd

Left Gnd  ----'

As noted, the 2k resistors can be anything
from 1k to 10k or so.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

              DAQARTA  v3.50
   Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
             www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
        Science with your sound card!

Re: Stereo to Mono

Does it matter that in this small adapter the signal won't be shielded?

Re: Stereo to Mono

If you build this into a metal box, you can connect all the shields
to the box.  But you may be able to get by just fine without the box
if your electrical environment is not too noisy.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

              DAQARTA  v3.50
   Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
             www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
        Science with your sound card!

Re: Stereo to Mono
In article <847c876a-5e96-4907-bce6-
snipped-for-privacy@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net says...
    I dont remember the exact url, but if you google "esp
westhost" you ought to find the site

Re: Stereo to Mono

I found this site.  It looks like it might be right.

http://sound.westhost.com/p-list.htm

Do you happen to know what it was called?  I cannot seem to quickly
find it.  Sorry to bother you again.

Site Timeline