Does Mixing Stereo to Mono Require Resistors?

I have a Philips DVP 642 DVD player connected to a TV set that has only mono sound, and only one audio input jack.

I want to get both L and R outputs from the DVD player to play on that TV set.

I have heard that the two outputs should not be simply paralled, and others have said to just get a Y connector, which would just parallel the two outputs into the one input.

Would someone please tell me the right way to do this?

If a resistor in each output line is recommended, what value for each resistor? Why are they needed?

What are the possible problems with just paralleling the two outputs?

Thanks.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

The outputs are probably LINE OUT impedance, so I wouldn't expect any problem with tieing them together for a single input. I usually use a pair of 100k Ohm resistors, but it's probably a waste of 4 cents.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Well ..... sometimes the outputs in question already have series resistors internally, so doing it the 'cheap' way by paralleling may actually work OK but you do need to be aware that it's not a guaranteed method.

If you hear distortion, then add external resistors. It's HIGHLY unlikely you'll do any damage by trying paralleling though. Even audio professionals do this when in a fix.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

set.

100k would be an extraordinarily high value to use. I can't think of any instance where 1k wouldn't be just fine.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Joe"

** You need to find special stereo resistors.

Theses are easy to tell apart from the usual mono kind since the colour coded bands read the same in either direction.

Eg: brown, red, red, brown.

** The DVD player will instantly vaporise when left and right energies combine.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

LOL !

Nice one.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How about playing music from the line out thru a diode into an RC... read the voltage with no series resistor... then put in a pot and increase R until voltage drops 'some' (.707 or .5 of the open circuit voltage). The idea is you dont want two low impedance outputs 'fighting' each other. Build out resistors equal to the output impedance of the line out minimize crosstalk due to mismatch.

Reply to
BobG

What in the FUGGINGHELL are you talking about?

You need oxygen, buddy.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D No, if you use the expensive 'oxygen free' wires that are extruded from the diffusion furnace using the 'slow pull' technique, they exhibit the ohmic characteristics of a eutectic alloy at the triple point. In this exact balanced condition, all the electrons move through the crystalline lattice structure of the copper much easier (lower resistance), resulting in lower output impedance at higher frequencies, which increased the damping factor allowing suppression of odd harmonics resonances.

Reply to
BobG

I see they're all coming out of the closet!

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

On my disco with a mono amp I just short them together.

If you insist on using resistors then a couple of 1k resistors will do the job.

Marra

Depending on the stereo phasing, simple connection of the outputs will work (because those outputs have 1k ohm resistors built in, you needn't add external resistors). There are some sources where this fails badly (TV from BBC has some phase- reversal convention, I've heard sound become unlistenable when converted to monaural), and simply connecting L channel and ignoring the R is a better option.

Reply to
whit3rd