schematic vs breadboard

I will try to remember to follow the tradition. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Now that I'm using Google Groups, it doesn't really matter if people top or bottom post, it automatically hides the quoted text, no need to scroll - nice. If your newsreader doesn't do this automatically then I suggest you get one that does, it's a great feature. I find myself rarely opening and reading the quoted text because I am already familiar with the thread. So I'd say that probably 90% of the time the quoted text is a waste of space for me.

It's interesting to note that in other email lists like Yahoo Groups, top posting seems to be the norm.

If you try and convince people to bottom post then they just end up throwing in ALL the quoted text and you have to scroll a heck of a long way just to get to the one new paragraph. It can be horribly inefficient.

I've never really understood the issue either, if you are quoting a whole block of text then it *is* very inefficient to bottom post, and scrolling in this case is a PITA.

Of course, if you are quoting paragraphs then you do it inline and then bottom post your final comment, that is of course very sensible.

But now of course we have a bigger problem, Google Grouper snobbery, which is even worse! To the point where some people are kill-filing every person who uses Google groups, how ridiculously stupid. There are some very good reasons to use Google Groups for some people, and some "old timers" like myself have switched over to it.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Take another look, the IC is in back to front. Turn the chip around and all the pins become correct, including the cap on pin 5.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes. My News Server doesn't carry comp.sys.tandy which is a group I read and post to. And since it's a subcontracted service I'm doubtful I can get that fixed.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

if you've got it working with a potentiometer on the input, you could try AC from a small low voltage transformer (use a voltage divider if the transformer puts out too many volts)

if that looks good then yeah you could try a microphone (it'd probably need amplifying before the DAC) or the signal from the headphone socket of a cheap radio (no point in risking a good radio...)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:31:20 -0700, elesser top-posted:

Nothing to it. Go to the local electronics place, and get a mic jack. Solder a couple pieces of #24 bare wire to the contacts, and poke them into the breadboard.

And please try to learn to bottom-post; top-posting upsets the natural flow of the thread.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It disrupts the natural flow of the conversation.

That's what snipping is for.

Well, interleaved posting is acceptable, if there are multiple points that you want to address. (like this post of mine.)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are there still people using mouses without a scroll wheel?

One caveat with bottom-posting, of course, is intelligent snippage. When I see a post with a dozen levels of thread quoted and big piles of >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>'s, to where the reply is off the bottom of my screen, I just skip the post. >:->

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Try to get into the habit of hitting "Control-END" when your reply window comes up. :-)

And thanks for acknowledging the convention. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, yes, but you apparently know your elbow from a hole in the ground.

Like, you're using whole words and complete sentences, that make sense, and everything is spelled right. That's not Googlegroupie behaviour.

What I usually do with them is ignore the obvious homework questions and the ones where they abbreviate everything ridiculously because they never bothered to learn to type.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Heh! Got bit by that one myself, once. :-)

I noticed on the one page, they sell jumper sets, color-coded by length - hell, Real Men use tinned solid wire and teflon tubing! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
_Real_ men wire-wrap.
Reply to

You use insulation? Real men don't need insulation!

Dvae :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

*snip*

Yes, and I'm not giving my mouse up!

Who cares if it's intelligent or not? At the very least cut off all the previous replies except the original post you're replying to. Don't reply to an reply through an original post.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

That's a long reach.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

*snip*

I type with both hands. Does that mean I stereotype?

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Real men don't need none of these stinkin' prototypin' methods. They simply build the project.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper