RFI with PC speakers

My 2.1 speaker system "PC Works" by Cambridge Soundworks is picking up quite a bit of RFI. It's manifested in audible whispering radio station broadcasts. When I moved in here, RFI was very audible. So I was suggested to put ferrite chokes around audio and power cable. I did that, and it worked for quite a while. Recently, I've been getting loud RFIs yet again. Now I don't know whether those ferrite chokes did anything, and not mere rearrangement of the cables. I took them off and there seems to be no change. RFIs come in at varying volume rates lately to the point that I turn the amplifier off over the night as in complete silence it's quite audible. By process of elimination I ruled out several possible causes. At first I thought it was the computer's sound card (had that happen before too!). I plugged headphones directly into the Lineout, silence, no RFIs. I rearranged the audio cable but that didnt do much. I pulled the audio cable out the amplifier. RFI is still there. So i've come to conclusion that the amplifier is not well shielded and causes that. However, why does intensity of RFI fluctuate? Is there anything I can do besides getting another speaker/amp system? Ironically, I have a set of cheap speakers in the same room on another coputer that dont have this problem! I looked inside them, and there seems to be no shielding on them at all.

Reply to
Paul

Err, is it possible that the cheap speakers also don't have built-in amplifiers? The RFI you are getting is most likely coming from the amp input stages. There are several things to look for here. Are the cable shileds grounded to the PC case, and is the case properly grounded to the power line ground? Even if you have a 3-prong plug, the outlet may not be properly grounded. Or the PC may be grounded, but the jacks may not be. Ungrounded cables may be acting like antennas to bring the RF into the amps. Good amp designs shouldn't be susceptible to RF, but not all designs are good ones. If you don't mind a little surgery on the amps, you may be able to put RF filters the input stages, but from looking at the innards of a few of these I'd guess that's not gonna be a fun job.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Bob Masta