TV to PC Speakers - Voltage mismatch?

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built in amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a stereo

3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Thanks, QS.

Reply to
QuString

Stupid question but: have you turned down the volume on the TV? Last I checked mine could be turned down to zero output. Or are you saying that one "up volume" button push from totally off and you've got huge sound output from the PC speakers?

The TV's audio out should be putting out a signal level suitable for input to an external amp. I've got mine running into my music amp. The PC speakers SHOULD accept this input too. I suppose it's possible that the speaker amp may be set up with monster gain to compensate for a weak signal from some sort of non-standard PC sound card output.

You can always put a resistor in series with the signal lead to attenuate the signal.

Reply to
Dave

Pad the output down.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 15:44:47 +0000, QuString Has Frothed:

The audio output from the tv may not be controlled by the tv's volume control.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

"QuString" wrote in news:45798870$0$8726$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Does your TV have a switch that says Variable/Fixed? My Sony has such a switch and in Variable mode you can turn the sound up or down with the volume control.

Reply to
Satellite Robert

Yes - you need some attenuators. A decent Hi-Fi shop should sell inline RCA phono types or you could make them if handy with a soldering iron.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Each attentuator is 2 resistors, and if stereo you'll need two of them. So 4p worth of components.

NT

Reply to
meow2222