Question about Casio fx-115MS

What does the Rnd key (SHIFT 0) (in the lower-left corner) on the Casio fx-

115MS calculator do, and how is it used?

And is there anywhere on the web a better manual than the one that comes with the product? Or a tutorial?

Thanks,

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

Steve Evans wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Could you give me an example that includes the keys to push?

Thanks,

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

Jonathan Kirwan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

From what range? The Rnd# key gives a random number in (0,1).

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

Jonathan Kirwan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Apology accepted.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

It produces a "random" number.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

It rounds off the internal value contained in the Y-register so it equals the displayed value.

--

Fat, sugar, salt, beer: the four essentials for a healthy diet.
Reply to

Woops! I got the key next to it! You said, Rnd! My mistake!

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Yup! I was looking down at the calculator and looked for shift-0 and instead saw shift-. My mistake. Actually, I don't recall ever using Rnd, which is probably why I so quickly assumed I picked out the right key. Sorry about that.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Steve Evans wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Great!

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

I guessso, but its rather late now where I am. I'll do it ifircall tomorrow.

--

Fat, sugar, salt, beer: the four essentials for a healthy diet.
Reply to
Steve Evans

Well here I amagain. Your calculator has three main registers for holding current values, X, Y, and K registers. they each have three particular jobs to do. X is the working reg., holding the displayed value, Y's like a variable reserve reg. for any ohter 'reserve' value and K holds fixed, programmable values. If you divide 50 by 10 then press you'll get the result 0.2 ratger tgan 5. Fool around with these registers and the RND function and yo';ll see what goes down. BTW, if you don't know what it does, why do you need to use it? Have fun.

--

Fat, sugar, salt, beer: the four essentials for a healthy diet.
Reply to
Steve Evans

Steve Evans wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My fx-115MS has no .

So why don't you just tell me what RND does?

BTW, if you don't know what it does, why do you need to use

Is that a joke? If not, what do you mean? If I knew what it does, I might or might not find it useful. If it is useful to me, then I need it.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

Robert Monsen wrote in news:ecOpd.672275$8_

6.309637@attbi_s04:

OK, in RAD MODE I pushed SHIFT-PI, =, sin, ANS, and got 0. That's fine.

I pushed SHIFT-PI, SHIFT-Rnd, =, sin, ANS, and got 0 again, not your

3.59n. Do you have the fx-115MS?

Thanks for trying to help.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

Try this sequence:

PI = sin ans

you get zero.

Now, try

PI rnd = sin ans

you get 3.59n (or 3.59e-9)

The rnd rounded PI to the digits on the display, so the answer wasn't exact wrt the internal registers.

I can't think of a good use for this key. You almost never care about more than a few significant digits anyway.

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

Sorry, I got the directions wrong, you need to put the value PI into the internal registers before you hit shift rnd. So, try this:

shift PI = (puts it into the register) shift rnd (rounds register to whats on the display, subtracting some delta) sin ans = (computes sin(PI - delta))

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

Robert Monsen wrote in news:JLQpd.149903$HA.65909 @attbi_s01:

Ok, got it. Thanks.

BTW how did you learn this? I've found online PDFs of both sheets that came with my calculator, and that constitute its manual. They are at

And

And Rnd is mentioned in neither of them.

I'm now trying to figure out CALC. Could you take a look at the PDF of the second link I've quoted (or at your calculator's manual)? The CALC Memory section is on page 6 of the PDF. The example there doesn't work correctly for me. When I finish entering the function the screen shows "x-cubed + 3x

- 12", which looks good. Then I push CALC and answer "7" for the "x?" prompt. I get 352 (instead of the correct 58). And for x=8 I get 524 (not

76). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane

Really? Mine is obtained by pressing But I use the fx-3400P which may differ in some respects. I assumed mine was just hte programmable version of yours, but the differences might go wider, I dunno.

Robert and me have already told you that.

Fair enough.

--

Fat, sugar, salt, beer: the four essentials for a healthy diet.
Reply to
Steve Evans

Jack Crane is, and always will be:

I think it stands for 'round number'.

I have not had a Casio calculator for a long time, but AIUI and IIRC it works like:

3.5683927835 3

RND

3.568

(rounding 3.5683927835 to 3 decimal)

-- Chaos Master®, posting from somewhere near Porto Alegre, Brazil. "... one either has a shit, or not. Do you have yours?" ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

--> news, hotter than high-power transistors!

To reply remove "DEADTOTHESPAMMER" from address.

NP in foobar2000: 15. Evanescence - [Fallen #05] Haunted [3:07]

Reply to
Chaos Master

The answer is, actually 352:

7^3 = 343 3x7 = 21

so

343 + 21 - 12 = 352

Sounds like you are doing it right...

Now, try to figure out 'solve'.

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

Robert Monsen wrote in news:G94qd.161976$R05.64212@attbi_s53:

Oops. Thanks for checking this. In dim light with dimming eyes, from the manual I had read X-cubed instead of X-squared.

OK! I'll try later today.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Crane