LP's to digital ? - help

Hi, I am not a computer or tech geek. I have over 1000 lp's and I need some help so I can listen to them on wma or mp3. My old Gateway micro tower has been just fine til now. I tried the Gateway 'Tech' site and guess what, no help :eek: . I need to know if I can put some type of card in the empty add-in slot in the back of this thing. All I need is a card with RCA input jacks that I can plug my stereo into and turn the analog signal into digital for wma or mp3 storage on a hard drive. I do not know what type of connectors ( if any ! ) are in the empty slot, I don't know what type of card I may need. I dont need any bells or whistles, just interface from analog to digital via RCA inputs. Yes I've seen the millions of ads for hardware/software programs that restore the sound, arrange the tunes, bring disco back to life, and...bla-bla-bla, I just need inputs and a processor to turn the analog signal to digital...is there such a simple plug-in 'sound' card device, and will it work in an old Gateway ???....thanks, Doug... PS I promise not to listen to any of my lp's on an Ipod :smirk:

Reply to
dougreed

Doesn't your computer have a sound card? That's nearly all the hardware you'll need. Magnetic phono cartridges (and that is the vast majority) require an RIAA preamp to boost the very low level and correct the frequency response. Most older (pre 1990) receiver/ amplifiers had the phono preamp as standard equipment. To connect them you'd need an RCA to 1/8" stereo mini plug cable available at Radio Shack (and many other) stores. Software is another issue. I use Adobe Audition but that is expensive. It does a very good job with tick/pop reduction but I'm sure you'll get many suggestions for less expensive solutions.

If the machine is so old it doesn't have the sound capabilities it might be lacking on other issues. Audio can easily go through gigabytes of storage even in MP3 or WMA formats. 128 kbit MP3 uses a gig for roughly every 16 hours of program. Uncompressed needs 11 times more. I've done audio work with a Pentium 166 but it was SLOW.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Look on the back. Are there three 3.5 mm (1/8 inch) phone jacks in a line (often colored pink, green and blue)? If so all you need is a cable from the dollar store, 3.5 mm to two RCA jacks.

will tell you all you need. The Nero version you pay for has a program called Nero Sound Trax which will input the sound, split it into tracks and let you tweak it. There are other programs which will do the same.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

This is a newsgroup about the repair of electronic equipment. It's not an audio newsgroup, and it's not a computer newsgroup.

Find the proper place, and post there.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

You won't get a card with RCA jacks, sound cards usually have

3.5MM stereo jacks. Leads to convert are easily available. You can use freeware Audacity to record, and you can probably use it to split the tracks. Audacity needs a separate MP3 encoder.....see here
Your old PC may struggle, however, and you will need plenty of disk space.
Some audio progs which may be useful.
Reply to
gonzo

On Mon, 14 May 2007 04:13:50 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (dougreed) put finger to keyboard and composed:

This should get you started.

Transferring LPs to CDR: Some Advice

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

One thing you'll need to know is whether your PC takes ISA cards or PCI cards, (in brief, the connectors on the motherboard are different). Which you have depends on how ancient your PC is. Your PC owner's manual will say, perhaps Gateway's web site will say. It's possible you've got some of each.

ISA was used years ago; if you need an ISA sound card, look on Ebay. It would help if you'd post your operating system. Do you have USB ports? Look at >

or an 'all in one' for usb at >

And you'll need to use the Tape Out or earphone jack of your stereo amplifier or receiver as the input source to the computer; you can't plug in the turntable directly.

dougreed wrote:

Reply to
Bennett Price

And have you thought about the time involved? Assume each LP is 48 minutes x 1000 LPS = 48,000 minutes or 800 hours, flipping sides every

24 minutes. My suggestion is to borrow as many CDs from your local public library that overlap your LP collection; creating an MP3 from a CD only takes a few minutes per CD. Then buy used CDs from Ebay or Amazon and only then convert your LPs. For your LPs you'll have to enter album info, artists, track info, etc. manually. For most CD's, it's an automatic process.

Bennett Price wrote:

Reply to
Bennett Price

ISA? Are you joking? ISA has been obsolete for thirteen years and vanished for good seven years ago.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Many people still have ISA machines. The oldest machine here is a 486, and still doing its (limited) job quite happily.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not quite seven years. I have Gigabyte P3 mobo here with ISA slots that is

2001.
Reply to
budgie

Bennett Price wrote in news:da82i.2669$y_ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

But at least it is your records.

A copyright violation in some places, since you don't own that CD. The fact you may have a copy on another format is irrelavent.

You can do that, as long as you retain posession of the CDs.

If you are ingenious, you may find some semi-automatic way to name the tracks.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Cut & paste?

Reply to