pic16f84a simulator help

Hi, one of my students is off to Cancoon for his christmas holidays, the lucky beggar. He's going to miss some school but he's taking a laptop, if i was 17 and heading to mexico from scotland, I would only boot it up to gloat to friends left in the cold. Anyway, I downloaded microdev the other night, it will do what I need it to do, only I havent cracked it yet. Rather than expend heaps of braincells I thought it would be better to check here to see what the recommendations are for PIC simulators. The course I'm teaching is an introductory one using assembly language and 16f84a, I'd like a simulator that takes switch inputs, and simulates led outputs and stepper motor output. Free is a good quality too. Microdev would fit the bill if I can work it out.

thanks roy

Reply to
misterroy

Roy,

If the program you downloaded is the same one I saw here when I Googled

) , it looks like support ebbed in 2006 (see "Project discontinued!!!!!" and two later posts), though it looks like there may have been some downloads and development effort recently. Let us know what you think of it.

Have you looked at the MPASM IDE from Microchip? It may not provide a pretty graphical representation of switches and LEDs, but the students can set (fire) input bits and observe output bits. It is a combination editor/simulator and it is free.

Not a bad learning experience if students are willing to put a little time into it.

Good luck with teaching the youngsters. Get'em interested!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Seriani

sorted, after much fiddling about, i got microsim to work. My method:

  1. draw the circuit in th simulator program, with great care, checking each wire is connected after I draw it by loading a program and running the simulation, it tells you there is a faulty connection, but not which connection.
  2. the program we use in school is "Picaxe Programming Editor" its free, I enter and compile the program using PPE.
  3. Back to the simulator, right click on the pic and load the hex, then simulate.

my files are here, uDev is good for the level I am working at, my students can now do programming at home, without hardware. thanks for the help

p.s. which pic should I be using to teach 17 year olds?

Reply to
misterroy

forgot, here's my files

misterroy wrote:

Reply to
misterroy

pretty

the files dont work when transferred from the usb pen where they were initially saved

Reply to
misterroy