photons and reflection

The upper part is the magnetic aspect; the lower part is the electric aspect.

If a rotating magnet turns another magnet then there is an energy transfer across empty space. One rotation corresponds to one photon. That's the nature of light.

Reply to
Androcles

Which wave is the particle in the the Electric or the Magnetic wave? This question disproves the photon.

MItch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

One of the interesting little things is using the Einstien equation E-MC*2 . This defines an EQUIVALENT mass for an energy field. This doesn't meean that a photon necessarily has mass but it does carry energy

-- Bob May

Bob May

2 .

Refelection comes at every angle and every light energy in the spectrum for white light. This means qunatization of energy coming out of the atom isn't always applicable; for example the rainbow.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

set

eld

ic

and

able

s.

----

47714

sics.org

ic.ac.uk/~kinsle/

s of

not

ite

um of

om to

=A0It

that

ody_radiation

Hmmm, Mitch if you are really interested in this stuff you'll have to take a class (well there are QM classes in video on the web.) and work through the standard problems. There are an infite number of energy states of an atom. At the larger quantum numbers the states have almost the same energy and we then just call them 'the continum' (or some such term.) I have no idea where the 4 number came from but it's wrong.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

):

a set

field

etic

, and

ntable

ons.

the

nt

le

------

x) 47714

hysics.org

h.ic.ac.uk/~kinsle/

ies of

s not

white

trum of

atom to

=A0It

ll that

kbody_radiation

he

rom

ure

I don't read and I don't go to school but light still comes from every angle in reflection.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

ly):

t a set

y field

gnetic

s", and

.

ountable

e a

tions.

n the

rent

able

ly

--------

fax) 47714

@physics.org

.ph.ic.ac.uk/~kinsle/

ities of

oes not

e white

ectrum of

s atom to

r. =A0It

=A0All that

ackbody_radiation

the

of a

of

ave

from

ut

asure

A mirror is an example of a metal coating that can handle every frequency of light. Quantization does not apply here either. A rainbow and anything exibiting white light cannot be a phenomenon of quantization of energy in the atom. A laser would be an exception that needs to be taken into account. Evidently quantization has a limited applicability.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

"> I don't read and I don't go to school"

Oh well, as Newton (?) said, =93I can see so far, because I=92m standing on the shoulders of giants. =93

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's my understanding that quantization applies to the detection of EM radiation when the detection involve changing electron states including modifying chemical bonds. It's my understanding that it doesn't apply when detection is accomplished simply by heating (increase in molecular velocity) not involving ionization. So QM can apply to white light and rainbows if you use your eye, film, or a CCD but not if you use a bolometer or thermometer as the detector.

I could be dead wrong, but I consider photons to only "exist" when and where light exchanges energy with matter at a sub-molecular level. At least that view seems to be sufficient for engineering needs when working with emitters and detectors.

Educate me. How does that view conflict with formal QM theory?

Reply to
Louis Boyd

Evidently some atoms can radiate and absorb all visable frequencies such as in the example of a mirror. I am not educated.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

"Photons" show up, that is light detection is appears and discrete events, when light is detected, even with thermal detectors. To observe this experimentally you of course need high enough signal to noise, but it is done. For example, super conducting bolometers can not only detect soft x-ray photons as discrete detection events, but also measure their energy with a resolution of a few percent or better. I remember an interesting talk on this work by a professor of physics or astronomy from the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Bret Cannon

Reply to
Bret Cannon

EM

ly

nd

ng

,

ity

If light is a particle which of its waves is this particle in? its magnetic wave or electric wave? No. Einstein questioned his photon in the end. He questioned what he won the Nobel Prize for.

Reflection of a mirror is not quantized and happens over all visual frequencies of light.

Quantization has been disproven. It does have application but it is the lesser truth.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

BURT wrote in news:b72906b1-e886-418b-8f3e- snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

So, please tell us. What is the greater truth?

Brian

- Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy, Skepticism Seismic FAQ:
Quake "predictions":
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Reply to
Skywise

Yes. Don't think of this as "either-or", think of the photon as the oscillation between magnetic and electric fields. To use a mechanical analogy, you might think of the photon as a rubber ball flying through space. It is springy in the X and Y dimensions, and oscillates between having its energy stored in X-compression/Y-elongation, versus Y-compression/X-elongation.

Now take away the ball.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v5.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever! (Some assembly required) Science (and fun!) with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Quite right, Bob. I sometimes use a "leapfrog" analogy, the electric field creates the magnetic field as the electric collapses and then the magnetic creates the electric field in turn.

Androcles

Quantization is less imorportant.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

BURT wrote in news:abdfaf69-fc01-40fe-a43e- snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

So which is it? "less important" or "has been disproven"?

One implies it exists and the other that it doesn't.

Brian

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Reply to
Skywise

The truth is meant to be known. Quantization is the lesser concept than full ranges of energy.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

You miss the point: I can quantize the field in any set of basis modes I happen to prefer. However, some basis sets will provide simpler descriptions of the behavior than others. And for some situations, no description will be simple, and I'll have to settle for least-complicated instad.

The process of "Quantizing the field" isn't unique. It's a choice. Generally, though, there is only a small set of useful bases for which quantization gives a useful description.

--
Dr. Paul Kinsler

Why not consider the Yee grid for discretizing and numerically solving Maxwell's equations? That might be leapfroggy enough for you, without requiring any dubious analogies.

--