No-op microprocessors

As all microprocessor instructions finally boils down to 0/1 through output pins. This means that we can build a microprocessor that does nothing but just generates 0/1 through output pins, in a desired way. Functionalities can be built on the top of such microprocessors. Such processors would be very much simple (?) to build. Do we already have any thing like this?

Reply to
v4vijayakumar

You must be Indian.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

No they dont, they boil down to affecting a memory location. If that location is hardwired to a pin then the pin changes as well, but they could be hardwired to any other internal resource or just be a memory location.

Reply to
cbarn24050

The assumption is incorrect and hence the conclusions drawn are also

Reply to
Ian Bell

Sometimes, they also have input pins.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Yes, there exist microprocessors with instruction sets devoted largely to digital I/O.

Perhaps the functionality you are desiring is more directly addressed with PLC's and/or ladder logic diagrams.

Most of the folks here are microprocessor dweebs and would rather write and debug code rather than do a very simple job of setting up a PLC or writing down the ladder logic. In fact the subjects of ladder logic and PLC programming are so simplistic that they often are not even done by engineers, and instead simply implemented by technicians.

And of course most PLC implementations today just use a regular microprocessor to implement the ladder logic or state machine, and also provide a pretty nifty user interface.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

All processors, memory and such all run on a 0/1 basis.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Yes, there are many such processors. Many are even available with multiple processor cores on one die, for just a few cents!

For example, see the 7400, which has four fully independent cores! Parallel computing for pennies!

Reply to
cs_posting

I remember when I first learned about digital.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yes and I remember a comment made to me by some wizened engineer in years gone by that "digital is just an analog signal with the gain set so high that it flips from rail to rail without much ado".

- mkaras

Reply to
mkaras