Step down from 0 to 48 DC to 0 to 10 DC

Silly question I guess. But i'm looking for a simple way to step down from 48 volts to 10 volts DC. I can only use basic components. I would like to use the 48 volts to feed directly into a PID controller but it appears that the op amps don't like it, something that I can understand seeing that there supply voltage is only 15Volts.

Thanks Blair

Reply to
Cosmo

You don't state what maximum current you require, if its a few mA a resistor might work, otherwise LM317, with a few proviso's about max in V and min V out problems ( ie how many volts it can drop)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Use a standard smps controller chip and use the "typical application" for a quick solution.

As for the op-amp use a resistor divider to handle 48V.

Don't forget voltage variations that may occour..

Reply to
pbdelete

--
10VDC at what kind of current?
Reply to

If your current requirement is low, use an LM317HV. If it is high, add a pass transistor. If you don't know how, see the datasheet.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

if you want the reduced voltage for a high impedance input use a voltage divider.

if you need it to power a device use a voltage regulator of some sort.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen