microprocessor circuits

Hi ,I would like to do simple but interesting circuits using microprocessors Is it possible without a microprocessor trainer kit ?

Reply to
venkatsr

Hi ,I would like to do simple but interesting circuits using microprocessors Is it possible without a microprocessor trainer kit ?

Reply to
venkatsr

Yes.

Homer J Simpson

If by this you mean 'without a microprocessor board already made that people charge money for' - certainly if you want to build your own.

There are plenty of micros out there that run slow enough (to the outside world) that don't need special care due to high frequency issues. You would, however, need to supply the proper power.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Google PicAxe ... a ton of stuff, easy and cheap, project designs, free software, ...

Reply to
Charles Schuler

"venkatsr" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

No it isn't. You will need some assembler or compiler to write the program. You will need some hardware to program the micro. You want to see what happens (if anything) once the program is running.

That's not to say you need to buy a trainer kit. You can make up one of your own. For instance you can download Microchips PIC assembler and all the PIC datasheets you need, including the assembler manuals.

So you can write programs. Then you can build a PIC-programmer. Lots of designs on the net.
is only one example. Then you need some breadboard to assemble the hardware of your project and make it running.

You will have no nicely printed manuals, no CD inluding all the software and datasheets, no readily buid programmer cum breadboard and no right for the support that comes with a training kit. It's just about choices and money.

You can do about the same for AVR micros. FAIK ATMEL has a free assembler and I was told there to be a very good GNU C-compiler for them. Programmers are also widely available.

You can find several other micros as well. Just google.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

If you mean, "can I use a solderless breadboard to make microprocessor circuits?" then yes, there are many MCUs that are available in the good old DIP format. I've got some R8C chips in 20 pin DIPs on order for exactly that purpose - the final project will use the TSOP chips, but I wanted to try some things on protoboard first.

Did you have something specific in mind?

Also, note that some micro kits are very inexpensive - Digikey has an H8/Tiny starter kit for $49, for example, or a non-stocked R8C starterkit for $38.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Is your goal to learn about a specific chip? Or do you simply want to fool around with digital interactions with the outside world? If the latter, note that you can do quite a lot with the parallel (printer) port on an old computer (Win9x or earlier). You can write all your control code in whatever language you are already comfortable with. Then, when you have a routine you would like to put into an actual chip, you will already have the basic logic worked out.

Lots of port info at

Just a thought....

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

you can build your own version if this suits, as all the info is there, and demo version bascom-avr is free.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World\'s smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Yes. The PICAXE is exactly what you want:

They can even be programmed with flowcharts, so no need to learn assembly, C, or even BASIC.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes, but it's a LOT more work.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You have a decent chance of winning a 16F88 trainer.

Simulators will only get you so far... You need a debugger or an ICE.

Rich Grise wrote:

Reply to
wrichard

It's also possible without microprocessors! See:

all-transistor CPU

simplex 3

4-bit

relay computer

Don S.

Magic 1

TTL computer kit (in German)

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer snipped-for-privacy@chem.washington.edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph425-222-5066 http//staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/

Reply to
billb

Or semiconductors!

Homer J Simpson

hi, i m prateek working on 32 bit processor, i got struck with its coding when at the time of compling it showed an error saying" entry point does not point to an instruction", could u please help me out. Prateeh Sethi snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
prateeksethi86

hi, i m prateek working on 32 bit processor, i got struck with its coding when at the time of compling it showed an error saying" entry point does not point to an instruction", could u please help me out. Prateeh Sethi snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
prateeksethi86

it doesn't know where to start executing your program, (or some part of it)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen