LTspice / SwitcherCAD III and Bridge Rectifier question

You have learned, early, the widely known fact that the available models (assuming they are any good) are a big part of the value of any simulator package.

For playing, if you can find some 1A 200V diodes, just hook them up and be happy. Or, if you want to play with component creation, do that. Library editors can be a real challenge.

Have fun.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

Anytime.

Yes, especially if you will be simulating "real" circuits (using "real" parts and which will end up becoming actual hardware), where their performance or predictability matters.

I'll take a look, thanks.

If you are merely interested in play, it hardly matters what you do if you enjoy it. But if your play is a learning exercise, with some future useful application in mind, then you would do well to get past the "pull in what appears in the menus, hook it up, hit run" phase. Using models not provided by the simulator vendor is an important part of that.

In SwitcherCAD and most other SPICE simulators, you can arrange for whatever statements you like to end up in the "(card) deck" that is actually input to the simulation engine.

Lookup the help on the .MODEL and .SUBCKT directives. By including the models you get from a manufacturer (which will generally be in either model or subcircuit form) as text items in your schematic, marked as "SPICE directive" in the dialog that creates/edits them, you can make the models available. By slightly editing the devices you use, they can be made to use those models.

There is a whole different scheme for incorporating models, subcircuits and schematics into library components you create. See the help for that.

There is a forum for LTSpice on Yahoo. That would be a better place take the more detailed questions that will surely arise as you proceed.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

I am a novice. And even more of a novice at this spice program.

I am trying to "play" with the program to see how it works etc. So Im taking some schematics and replicating them in the spice program to see how it works. My current sample project requires a 1 Amp 200V Bridge Rectifier.

I cannot see this component in the components list. Am I missing something? Am I suppose to use 4 Diodes as a work around or should I move to the next step in this program and make a new component?

Regards.

Reply to
Chretien

taking

something?

next

Thanks for the input.

I think I have seen that some manufacturers have (of course) their own components that you can download and put into these programs. Is this something worthy to do? eg. see link for a nice collection

I would rather spend my time on developing the project than developing the project that's developing the project if you know what I mean.

How do you use these files anyway I can't seem to see any import mecanism?

Regards

Reply to
Chretien

message

taking

it

something?

the

mecanism?

Thanks for your advice and helpful hints. I'll persevere. Right now Im just trying to understand the program. Its just for enjoyment and hobby. I'll also look at the LTSpice forum for a little more On Topic help.

Regards

Reply to
Chretien

In that case, I suggest you just use 4 of the generic ideal diode on the tool bar connected as a bridge. The voltage drop won't be exactly what some particular bridge component produces, but the result will be representative of most diode bridges.

--
John Popelish
Reply to