inert gas

--
Apparently not:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-42,GGLD:en&q=dark++matter
Reply to
John Fields

Argon is cheapest.

Well, no. Without gas, the filament evaporates faster.

With atmospheric fill however, it oxidizes and burns out quickly.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Well, there's clearly no way to test this - aren't the Voyagers and Pioneers and stuff still hitting particles?

But, really, I don't know to theorize just how hard of a vacuum could be had in, say, intergalactic space.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Tim Williams"

** Rediculous crapology.

Typical of Tim the TROLL !!

Nitrogen is 80% of the air we breath and is dirt cheap.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Sure - if you want to look like a complete FUCKWIT you can.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

But Nitrogen isn't very inert. It forms bonds with many elements. There is a reason that they call Argon, Krypton, etc. the "Noble Gases", they don't form bonds very easily.

Reply to
<tapwater

no, it'll be a partial vacuum.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

--
Sure there is but, clearly, you don\'t know how.
Reply to

Aren't you the only person who would call Nitrogen an Inert Gas? I guess you can't learn much from talking with dingoes in the Outback, so while you are here you can look and learn.

Might I suggest that the question of "what situation can I call a vacuum and not have people jump all over me" is a political matter? Maybe we can leave the word "vacuum" to the people "vacuuming" carpets, and just specify parts per cubic kilometer when we want to be specific and scientific.

Reply to
<tapwater

I believe it to be an inert gas too.

Did I miss something?

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Nitrogen - Atomic number - 7, sits between carbon and oxygen at period 15, a group

5 element according to kalzium. As it generally has 5 electrons in its outer shell in its natural state, I would imagine its relatively reactive (at least as much as phosphorous).

According to wikipedia: "Nitrogen is a non-metal, with an electronegativity of 3.0. It has five electrons in its outer shell and is therefore trivalent in most compounds. Nitrogen condenses at 77° K at atmospheric pressure and freezes at 63° K. Liquid nitrogen is a common cryogen."

Is it inert? hardly. Is it a noble gas? certainly not - noble gasses have full outer electron shells. Examples are Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xeon and Radon (pick the one you were really thinking of)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune

You missed nitrates, nitrides, ammonia (NH3), Life Itself, etc., etc., etc., compounds The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-05.

inert gas

or noble gas, any of the elements in group 0 of the periodic table. In order of increasing atomic number they are: helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon. They are colorless, odorless, tasteless gases and were once believed to be entirely inert, i.e., forming no chemical compounds; however, some compounds of these elements have been produced, i.e., fluorides of krypton, xenon, and radon. The low chemical activity of the inert gases is due to the fact that their outermost, or valence, electron shell is complete, containing two electrons in the case of helium and eight in the remaining cases. The inert gases are sometimes called the rare gases, although argon is not rare (it makes up about 1% of the atmosphere) and helium is commercially extracted from natural gas and the atmosphere.

All DNA bases have atomic nitrogen in them, amino acids also have atomic nitrogen in them. By that statement what we're saying is if you have nitrogen in its simplest form, the atomic form, it's much more reactive and can more easily form complex prebiotic organics in space.

Nitrogen is reactive, not inert.

Select formula from below: Fluorides N2F2 N2F2 NF3 N2F4 Chlorides NCl3 Bromides NBr3 Iodides NI3 Hydrides none listed Oxides NO NO2 N2O N2O3 N2O4 N2O5 Sulfides none listed Selenides none listed Tellurides none listed Nitrides H2NNH2

you

are

and

leave

parts

Reply to
<tapwater

Well, about 80% of what you're breathing at this instant is nitrogen.

Actually, "fixing" nitrogen - causing it to combine with other elements, as to make ammonia, for example - is relatively difficult. Until early in the 1900's, it was considered the exclusive domain of a smallish range of bacteria.

As far as things like light bulbs go, nitrogen is pretty much inert. Some small amount of nitrogen compounds are formed inside internal combustion and jet engines, where conditions are fairly intense.

John

you

are

and

leave

parts

Reply to
<tapwater

79%
Reply to
Mark Fortune

(Snip)

Thanks

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Well, about 98%...... Gave a big suck-up on the cable pressure tank.. 8).

Reply to
Don Bowey

And you missed a clue.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Got anything to say?

etc.,

Reply to
<tapwater

If you're going to be picky, get it right.

N2 = 78.084%

O2 = 20.946%

Argon = .934%

CO2 = .0332%