Identifying parts

Hi

I have several part here, I think they are resistors, but the color used are confusing. I put a jpg here:

there are 4 types. the first is red - blue- red, they gave me 2.8K on the ohm meter the second: is red red green brown giving me 1.5K the third (by itself): orange white brown giving me 450 Ohm fourth: it has 5 colors.. brown black black orange brown giving me 99K

I heard inductors can look like resistance sometimes. Can someone help me out here ? Also, does the base color of the resistor matter. Most of the one i have have a beige background. But from the picure, one is green , and the rest are brown

the page mightbe long to load because I kept a high resolution picture so you can really see them.

thanks

ken

Reply to
Ken O

The first one should be a 2.7 K 10% resistor. Red,violet,brown,silver (has to be violet as blue 2.6 K is not a normal 10% value)

The second should be brown,green,red,red to give a value of 1.5 K (not sure what the second red is for)

Third is orange,white,brown,silver for a value of 390 ohms at 10 %

Last is 100,000 K and again I am not sure what the last band is for.

The 2.7 K and 390 resistors look to be the older carbon composition units.

I have seen inductors that looked similar to the othes but the resistance values you are getting are way too high for that . Mabye 10 ohms at the most, more like likely under 1 ohm for an inductor.

The body color seldom maters as far as the value. Years ago there was a coding called body,end,dot where the body was the first value, one end was a color and then a dot near the middle was the multiplier.

You should look up the values that the standard 10 % resistors come in and you will see where the color bands can fall. The value you read on an ohm meter should be close to this value (within 10 % or less).

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Alright, so THER ARE all resistance. i was very confused with the extra color band. I posted a second picture with some more resistances, but thats ok now, If they are resistances, I can confirm the the values on my ohm meter thanks

ken

Reply to
Ken O

got this fromt the net

5-band identification is used for higher tolerance resistors (1%, 0.5%, 0.25%, 0.1%), to notate the extra digit. The first three bands represent the significant digits, the fourth is the multiplier, and the fifth is the tolerance. 5-band standard tolerance resistors are sometimes encountered, generally on older or specialized resistors. They can be identified by noting a standard tolerance color in the 4th band. The 5th band in this case is the temperature coefficient.
Reply to
Ken O

They are resistors.

Your can use this program to decode (and code) color codes for many different components:

HKJ

Good for you Ken. If you do a Google search for resistors +color code you will get many charts. Not all resistors are coded the same . Just as with many things, you have to know what the maker is doing with the markings.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You need to learn how to use some graphics software. This didn't need to be a 967kB file.

. .

JeffM

2% tolerance

more like could be orange-white-brown- and no tolerance band nothing for 20% tolerance.

1% this time.

these days it seems to indicate what process was used to make the resistor IIRC tan is carbon film and pale blue is metal film.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

--
That\'s an error. It\'s red (2) violet (7) brown (1), and the third
band indicates the number of zeros which follow the first two

Thanks for the information. I ended up throwing most of them in the garbage. They dated many many years and gave me weird readings. I do not know if resistors have a life period, but I am not taking any chances.

ken

Reply to
Ken O

Hi, Ken. Hold off on throwing them out, except for the one 390 ohm resistor (group 3) -- it's obviously broken.

Resistors don't have date codes -- they basically last forever. Eventually, with enough age the leads become oxidized enough that it's difficult to solder them, and they're cheap enough that it's easier to throw them out than burnish the leads.

There's one exception to that, having to do with the first and third set of resistors. These are carbon composition, and they tend to absorb water vapor out of the air over time (years), which tends to lower their resistance value. You see, carbon comps are meant to be run at or near rated wattage, and their internal power dissipation is supposed to be enough to burn off any absorbed water. After a number of years storage, that can change.

The solution is to put them in a pan, and throw them in an oven at 250F for an hour or so. That liberates the water from the carbon comp, and once they cool off, their resistance will be nearly its original value.

The other resistors have a sealed coating over their resistor body, and aren't changed by storage. Again, they'll last practically forever.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris