How do I programmatically send signals to USB?

Hello

How do I control voltages to pins of the USB programmatically? For example, I'd like to say send a signal to individual USB pins (if that's applicable in USB) how do I do that ?

Also what's the appropriate newsgroup for this question? Thanks .

Reply to
unisonharmonics

AFAIK, you don't get to. The USB interface has (IIRC) D+, D-, +5v and ground lines. Your operating system will let you send streams of serial data, on the data lines, but nothing else. It sounds like you might be better off investigating parallel ports.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

There are books on how to use USB.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Think of what USB stands for Universal SERIAL Bus

Think of it as another network connection, where you either have a connection or no connection and the information/control is in the bitstream.

John

Reply to
John

I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about USB, but there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to send a signal to individual pins in a serial connector. Think about RS232 -- only pins 2 and 3 carry data; 6, 7, 8, and 20, among others, are used for signaling equipment states.

--
Regards,

It\'s time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
Reply to
Doug Miller

USB uses 4 wires: Power to device: V+ V-

Data between devices: Data+ Data-

No individual pins to control.

John

Reply to