Harm in leaving a cell phone plugged into the wall all the time?

Will it be harmful to the cellphone battery if i Leave it plugged in all the time? I'm trying to use it more, by thinking of it as just another land line phone.

Reply to
W. eWatson

It should say something in the manual - mine explicitly says that leaving it plugged in all the time will do no harm - it's got a smart charger, that turns itself off.

And that's a $10.00 "TracFone." I can't imagine any other phone not being at least as good/smart.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

TracFone? 25c/min? What made you choose them over Net10?

Reply to
Michael

I have a Motorola W377g, and just called NET 10. They said it will be OK, but there's another question. Suppose I have it charging continuously and use it several times a day. It probably will discharge for each call, so will then charge up again. Will the continuous topping off harm or shorten the battery life? Perhaps in continuous recharge mode it never gets discharged?

Reply to
W. eWatson

No commitment. It was ten bucks, and I just buy minutes as I need them. There are at least three direct minutes cards: $19.95 -> 60 mins, == 3 min/$ $29.95 -> 120 min. == 4 min/$ $39.95 -> 200 min. == 5 min/$

And there's another one that's even more, that's like a year's supply or something, but I usually don't have that kind of cash on hand.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's pretty expensive. Page plus:

100 minutes -> $10 =3D=3D 10min/$ 400 minutes -> $25 =3D=3D 16min/$ 1,000 minutes -> $50 =3D=3D 20min/$

AFAIK, PP uses the Verizon network, which is important for me. Instead of re-upping with Verizon I'll likely go with them when my phone dies.

Reply to
keithw86

But don't these minutes expire rather fast on TracFone? That was the reason why I picked VirginMobile years ago, minutes just keep rolling over. Also, a $15 top-up keeps it going for three month and buys airtime at 18c/min, not 33c/min like with you $19.95 card. Check it out, maybe you can get a better deal but it may be up to 20c/min for new cusotmers now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, I appreciate everybody's advice, but I'm kind of stuck with the phone I've got; the minutes never expire - they also include some certain number of days. Right now, my phone says: "185.50 minutes/you have 366 service days left."

I'm also kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, and I'm in the "previous investment" trap - why throw away what I've got that works, just to get involved in some other deal?

And because of my financial situation, I can't really make a commitment to pay a certain amount per month; I'm scraping by on a combination of Food Stamps and "odd jobs."

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Look like we've gotten off the track here. Oh, well.

Reply to
W. eWatson

The little 'parasite' will suck some power, probably

Reply to
1jam

Sorry. Bottom line, you will very probably not hurt your phone by leaving it plugged in.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise