Autotransformers

I understand the basic idea of an autotransformer, using a tapped winding to raise or lower a voltage and no isolation (which isn't necessary for my application anyway).

If I have a 60VA 240V primary mains transformer (the secondary voltages are for this application, as I understand it, irrelevant as long as I don't draw current from them) could I reasonably expect to be able to draw, say, 40 watts from the centre tap to provide a 120V output or does the 'misuse' of the centre tap derate the transformer in some way (if it does, I'd be interested to know the reasons) It's for a simple AC motor in a Christmas decoration. Thanks..

Reply to
Clint

To be conservative you don't want to draw any more than the rated current out of any one terminal, to avoid overheating that set of windings. The 'real' allowable draw is somewhere between that amount and an amount that causes the total winding dissipation to be equal to the transformer used it it's maximum rating -- but without knowing the details of how it's wound and how good it's thermal conductivity is, you can't tell.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

40 watts sounds fine to me. Try it and check after a while to see if the transformer is getting hot. Too hot to touch, which is ballpark 55C, might be a reasonable limit.

John

If it's rated for 60 VA at 240, I'd expect no more than 30VA at

120.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You should be able to get 60 watts.

An autotransformer is generally rated at twice the VA as the same device used as a transformer (with no common connection). If the center tap is on the primary and it is designed to work at the same VA rating with 120 VAC input, then that half of the winding should be able to handle the current for 60 VA at 120 VAC, or 0.5 A.

If you have 240 VAC on the primary, and a 60 VA load on the center tap, there will be 0.25 A flowing in the top half of the winding, and 0.25 A flowing out of the common connection back to the source. The center tap will provide a total of 0.5 amps into the load, with 0.25 amps in each winding. The vector sum of all currents at each node will be zero.

The only thing that might limit this capability is the size of the wire to the actual center tap of the transformer, but usually this is provided by the two windings being brought out to a terminal or a flexible stranded wire which is probably more than adequate to handle the current.

If you do an LTSpice simulation (as follows), you will see that with V(IN)=240 VAC and R=240 ohms, and a transformer consisting of two coupled 10 H inductors:

I(IN) = 0.25 A @ 240 VAC = 60 VA I(L1) = I(IN) = 0.25 A I(L2) = 0.25 A (180 deg) I(R1) = 0.50 A @ 120 VAC = 60 VA

Paul

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 112 80 16 80 WIRE 176 80 112 80 WIRE 16 128 16 80 WIRE 176 176 176 160 WIRE 272 176 176 176 WIRE 320 176 272 176 WIRE 176 192 176 176 WIRE 320 192 320 176 WIRE 16 288 16 208 WIRE 176 288 176 272 WIRE 176 288 16 288 WIRE 320 288 320 272 WIRE 320 288 176 288 WIRE 320 304 320 288 FLAG 320 304 0 FLAG 112 80 IN FLAG 272 176 OUT SYMBOL ind2 160 64 R0 SYMATTR InstName L1 SYMATTR Value 10 SYMATTR Type ind SYMATTR SpiceLine Rser=.1 SYMBOL ind2 160 176 R0 SYMATTR InstName L2 SYMATTR Value 10 SYMATTR Type ind SYMATTR SpiceLine Rser=.1 SYMBOL res 304 176 R0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 240 SYMBOL voltage 16 112 R0 WINDOW 3 -25 198 Left 0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value SINE(0 350 60 0 0 0 60) TEXT 232 128 Left 0 !K1 L1 L2 1 TEXT -18 330 Left 0 !.tran .5 startup

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

I should clarify that you can get 120 VA if you have a 60 VA transformer with two 120 VAC windings. For a center tap you only get the same VA as rated.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

expect to

Yes, that'll probably work (assuming there IS a center tap). The 60 VA rating, for primary and secondary current flowing in the winding resistance, is lower than what you'd expect from the autotransformer connection. If the primary winding is 4 ohms, 60 VA at 240V creates 0.25W of resistive heating in the primary, and another 0.25W in the secondary.

60VA as a transformer yields half a watt of heat. 60VA as an autotransformer, there are two 2 ohm branches carrying 0.25A each (to make 0.5 A at the 120V tap), which yields a quarter watt of heat.

It would seem that, on heat-generation alone, the autotransformer rating would be higher than the transformer number.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks all, I'd suspected it would work but confirmation is always nice.

The pirmary is two 120V windings designed to be joined to make one

240V winding. I'll try it with a light bulb load this weekend.
Reply to
Clint

Figure 30VA for each half of the primary, so 60 VA from the centre tap (with no load on the secondary) should be fine.

You can probably do more as there's no heating in the secondary.

What's the VA rating of the motor? and is it designed for the right mains frequency?

--
¡spu?? ou '?? ?oo?
Reply to