Getting started with VHDL and Verilog

Have you ever taken a course in digital hardware? If not you should probably read a little bit about that before doing anything else. Unfortunately I don't really know of good books in English in this area because we are mainly teaching these subjects in Swedish.

Once you know a little bit about digital hardware you can draw a little schematic and translate it into VHDL or Verilog. The learning curve of VHDL and Verilog is actually quite low _if_ you know what hardware your are planning to design.

May I ask why you are interested in learning about VHDL or Verilog? Do you have a particular project in mind? Hobby or professional interest?

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

Hi all,

My background is in Software Engineering C,C++,Java and Unix. I am getting started with VHDL and Verilog. What is the good way/books/ websites/training to get started? I have B.S. and M.S. in Computer Engineering. Also, what is the learning curve in VHDL and Verilog?

Please let me know.

Thanks Jay

Reply to
jraj.thakkar

Jay,

I received a free copy of:

"FPGA prototyping By VHDL Examples" by Chu.

There will be a verilog version soon, too.

A easy to read book, designed around the Digilentinc.com Spartan pcb for learning (he is a professor in Ohio).

There are a lot of books out there, so I would encourage others to comment on ones they have actually read (like I did).

Austin

Reply to
austin

Thanks for the response. I will try to get hold of some good books.

Reply to
jraj.thakkar

It's just a professional interest/curiousity. Just wanted to get hang of hardware design.

Reply to
jraj.thakkar

If you are excited about flashing the lights on a physical circuit board, start with that, and run all the demos.

If you are excited by writing clean synthesis code, testing it algorithmically, and having it work the first time, start with a verilog/vhdl simulator.

Also, what is the learning curve in VHDL and Verilog?

About the same as C, C++, Java or Unix.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

If you are interested in processors, have a look at:

"Digital Design and Computer Architecture" by D.M. Harris & S. L. Harris, Morgan Kaufmann

After reviewing digital logic fundamentals they go on with showing the synthesisable subset of VHDL and Verilog, side by side. Then they talk about processor architectures and walk you through a simplified MIPS32 processor implementation.

The book is very easy to read.

Cheers,

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter Dannoritzer

Once you get the simple stuff down and learn the development environment (the hardest part), I recommend, "Advanced Digital Design with the Verilog HDL" by Ciletti. The book is geared towards the lower level of digital design, but quite in-depth.

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks