GAussian VS Sinc

Can someone tell me please what is the difference between a Gaussian Frequency spectrum and Sinc frequency spectrum. I know what Gaussian and SInc functions are but i need someone to explain me how do they apply to the frequency spectrums.

Reply to
thejim

If you graph magnitude vs. frequency of a sinc or gaussian spectrum (which could represent the amplitude of a signal, or the response of a system), they'll be those functions that you know. The sinc function is the frequency domain transform of a rectangular pulse in the time domain. The one-sided gaussian frequency spectrum is the transform of a gaussian time-domain pulse. Here are some pictures...

Other Transform Pairs

-- john

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

"thejim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

If you actually knew what the functions are you would not be asking this question...

me

Simplistic answer: Gaussian decays smoothly to zero at infinity in either direction. Sinc *oscillates* as it decays.

Best regards.

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

Even more important than the oscillations: sinc decays much more slowly than a Gaussian. The larger contributions from high frequencies make a sinc spectrum undesireable in many applications.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly