Can someone Clue Me in About Veroboard?

I went to the veroboard website

589A039D35545F5 and found a choice of verious sized boards to choos from. I also went to the BISCO website, which is their U.S. distribs, but that was useless because they need a part number, like no catalog whatsoever.

So I'm looking at the URL above, and I don't know which to choose from. First off, the only VB I've seen was phenolic, not epoxy, so I guess I want to order some of that, since it's easy to work with. And I know I want single sided with 0.1" hole spacing. But the SRBP has me stumped, I've never heard of it before - must be a U.K. term? I found this URL

which seems to allude to it being phenolic, but I'm not sure.

So I figured out that the VB # 01-0014 looks like it's a convenient size, and presumably it's phenolic. Is this a commonly used size? What _is_ the size that one would find in a store?

I went to BISCO website and searched under Vero for that number, but all I get is a we're sorry.. can't find it message. This website is useless because it doesn't give any list to choose from. I went to RSWW and they showed a list, so I'm guesing that the stripboard is the same as veroboard. It looks like I'm on the right path, but I haven't been successful in finding any info about it from their U.S. distrib. Likely as not, I could probably order from a distrib in the U.K. and get it with less problems. Thanks for any help.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" wrote (in ) about 'Can someone Clue Me in About Veroboard?', on Sat, 2 Oct 2004:

SRBP is 'synthetic resin-bonded paper' and is what you call 'phenolic' (the type of resin is 'phenolic').

John Woodgate

--
Unless you want to use Vero for some peculiar reason, give these guys
a try:

http://www.vectorelect.com/
Reply to
John Fields

wrote

went

useless

from.

know I

stumped,

URL

What

all

useless

as

Likely

is a

Farnell as

strip and

Thanks. Figures - tech term. I found several other URLs by searching for stripboard, but no place other than BISCO that sells it locally. Some place in Canada seems cheap, but wants a lot for shipping and handling. I found the above part number at Newark InOne, but they're out of stock. I'm still looking..

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

9

went

useless

from.

stumped,

URL

What

all

useless

Likely

I looked at the patterns on their website and what's in the latest Mouser catalog, and neither had anything like a veroboard or stripboard. Thanks.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Yes, it's the stinky Phenolic paper stuff and that part number quoted is a common size. The stuff I buy (UK) is a bit longer (5" by 12") and stocked by Farnell as #147-899. To save waste I tend to build up on one end of the long strip and when finished, just snap off to size. regards john

Reply to
john jardine

I use Veroboard for virtually all my projects. Like John J, I buy large sizes, for economy and flexibility. (Not sure what you mean by 'snap off' though, John - I use a saw .)

It's widely available in UK. I get mine from either Rapid Electronics

or CPC

Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Vero made a wonderful "3"-voltage ground plane perf board that was ideal for analog prototyping and no one else makes anything like it. [BTW, the "3" voltages included ground but that's one more than anyone else's bus structures handle.]

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Saw!. Sounds like dusty work. I've found I can run the scalpel (type 11a blade) across the track side row of holes and then gently bend the board it it's edge. It's a bit like cutting glass. The scalpel line provided a high stress point and that's where the board'll part. Also use the scalpel for track cutting.

(Gloat! ... but if I'm ever wanting "really neat" (a strange rare event), I'll cut the Vero etc to size using the £120 Axminster sheet metal guillotine :-) regards john

Reply to
john jardine

Electronics

STK_

cate

11a

board it

high

for

I still haven't found a site where I can buy it. Newark is out of the Newark part no 08WX7693 which is Kelan 147-899, which is about 5" by

12", single sided with 0.1" hole spacing. BISCO website, I couldn't get any part numbers for Veroboard.

I sure wish I could get you to read and learn this:

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

message

by

(type

scalpel

get

I got on Futurlec and found that they had the larger appx 4" square stripboards for $2 and the smaller 2"x4" for a dollar. So I ordered fifty buck's worth. Should arrive in a week or so. That should last for awhile. ;-)

Thanks for everyones' help.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

^^ Always pleased to see someone championing the "its versus it's" cause, Watson - but you're at risk of being hoist by your own petard . That should be "everyone's" .

P.S. This would have been an email, but darned if I can find a valid address?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Thanks for the typo clue.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote: [snip]

I used to get that wrong all the time till I mentally correlated "its" with "his" and "hers". For some reason it had originally been wired in my brain along with "Tim's". For some bizarre reason I was never taught English grammar at school, though I understand it has now returned to the curriculum.

Tim

--
Do you want your computer to trust a software vendor more than you?
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

[-]

I'm caught bang to rights guv'. Point accepted graciously, will try to do a little better next time, may even try an occasional spell check. :-( I do admit though to near zero literary skills, hence my prime focus is in just laying the comments down in some kind of orderly and (hopefully) linear manner. A moments distraction on my part can result in typing gibberish. Evidenced in a post last year, I managed to reverse an entire sentence, only to be saved from the pit of eternal damnation by the very flexible, forgiving nature of the English language. (I still though, reserve the right to use English English and to salt in f****ng expletives.)

As a general comment ... there seems to me a number of people here, who have a real intuitive feeling for the written word. An example last week I was reading, was some well written notes by a Clifford Heath. Being curious, I wondered if the 'writing' ability (like many other skills) can be aquired by lots and lots of practice. Looking at a letter I'd written earlier in the day, I knew it couldn't. Some lucky b*****ds are just born with it :-) regards john

Reply to
john jardine

Smells lovely - lol - when you solder to it too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

According to the Bisco website - they aren't a distributor for Vero ( or APW ).

Vero were bought by APW a few yrs back

Maybe the California office can help ?

Synthetic resin bonded paper - awful stuff !

They make it in epoxy too which is much nicer.

Dimensions look familiar.

When hobbyist stores still existed here chances were that they kept the smaller panels. Not many ppl need 1/2 a metre of the stuff.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

went

useless

( or APW

from.

know I

stumped,

the

I guess small is relative, but the ones I saw on the websites were 17" long, nearly a half meter long. So I figured that the commonly used ones were smaller than that, like 4" by 6" (10 by 16 mm) or so.

Anyway, after trying several sites that had it, but none that would show me what to buy or let me order, I finally just gave Futurlec a try, and they had both the 4" square and 2" by 4" sizes for about $2 and $1 respectively, so I ordered fifty bucks' worth. They should be here next week. They seemed to be cheaper than the others, too.

Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I know its got to be a typo, but 4" x 6" == 101.6 x 152.4 mm == 10 x 15 cm Aprox.

I have a thing with measurements, and numbers, guess you can all damn my literacy, and punctuation though.

Like I said sure its a typo.

Cheers Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

wrote

message

also

Vero

choose

guess

convenient

size?

kept

17"
15 cm

my

I'm not all that literate with metric, because it's not my native system. ;-) So yeah, I goofed.

Punctuation? s/b it's, above. Spelling? Aprox -> Approx...

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th