flipping of earth's poles

.

tic

ld.

The book doesn't go into it. It just analyzes an equivalent circuit. The helicity of the current is hidden in the word inductor. Inductors are helical wires. I forgot the references I had when I studied electromagnetic theory. However, the bistable mode is part of our "current lore" concerning conductors. It is consistent, fully, with our knowledge of the electromagnetic field. I'll present a heuristic argument that I hope makes it more plausible. Think of a liquid conductor in motion that is initially neutral in charge and current free. On the atomic scale, it consists of at least two different charge carriers. It has low mass charge carriers, an example of which could be conduction electrons. However, since it is liquid the atoms that held the low mass charge carriers are also free to move. So there is a heavier charge carrier, which in my example is the iron ion the conduction electron leaves behind. I am being careful to generalize this, so I don't want to stick to the idea that the free carriers have to be electrons. In an electrolytic solution, the free carriers can be ions of similar mass. In most metals, the low mass free carrier are conduction electrons. In some metals (e.g., aluminum), the low mass free carriers are positively charged holes. In solid state physics, we usually concentrate on the low mass charge carrier because the atoms left by the low mass free carriers are fixed in place. However, in a liquid both types of charges can move freely. So in a liquid conductor, there are always positive and negative free carriers of charge. In initially, our liquid has no electric current. Take a force and move the liquid in a helical path. I'll generalize and say that helical means having a chiral shape. In the earth system, the helical motion is caused by a combination of rotation and convection. Now apply a short lived magnetic field to the liquid, which is moving in a helical path. An external magnetic field is turned on for a very short time and turned off. So far, the liquid doesn't generate its own magnetic field. There is only the external field. During the time that the external magnetic field is turned on, there is a type of charge separation. The negative charges may be forced to start moving slowly clockwise through the liquid. However, the positive charges will be given an impulse in the opposite direction. The positive charges may start to move slowly counterclockwise. There is now an electric current, although the net charge density of the liquid is zero. The external magnetic field is then turned off. Both types of charge carriers now generate their own magnetic dipole. However, the two dipoles don't cancel out. They are pointing in the same direction! Because although the charge carriers are moving in opposite directions, they are also opposite in electric charge. Therefore, an internal magnetic field is now being generated by the charge carriers. The internal magnetic field forces the charge carriers to move faster in the same direction. The magnetic dipole gets stronger, and the magnetic field gets stronger. The energy is coming from the rotational kinetic energy of the liquid, and the angular momentum stays at zero because the free carriers are moving in opposite directions. The angular momentum of the positive free carriers is always equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the angular momentum of the negative free carriers. Eventually, the magnetic dipole reaches a peak, determined by the physical and electrical properties of the liquid. The liquid now has a magnetic dipole, and there is no external magnetic field on it. This magnetic dipole is energetically more stable, by a small amount, than the state of the nonmagnetic state. So it stays. No trace of the external magnetic field, except for the orientation of the internal magnetic field. The field is self perpetuating, as long as the helical motion is maintained. Actually, the energy to maintain the magnetic field is coming from the helical motion, but this is a small drain. There is a catch. There is another state of equal stability where the magnetic dipole is pointing in the exact opposite direction. If another external magnetic field is turned on and then off, the process could roll the other way. A magnetic dipole can form in the opposite direction. This self-generated magnetic dipole would be more likely to form with metal conductors than electrolytes, because the low mas free carriers in a metal are much lighter than ions. A conduction electron or a hole in a metal are about the mass of an electron in a vacuum (not exactly, but close), while the ions are thousands of times more massive than an electron. So the low mass free carriers move much faster. The same goes for plasmas, like the hot gas in the sun. The hot plasma contains electrons, which move faster. The helicity of the path is necessary for this bistable state, since to form the system has to "know" the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise. However, long ago and far away I did some example showing that the helicity was necessary. I am not sure what the explanation is for the 22 year cycle on the sunspots. I would think from this heuristic argument that the bistable state wouldn't have a ture periodicity. However, I conjecture that the switching of states is driven by the orbit of Jupiter. A Jovian year is 11.5 earth years. The magnetic field of Jupiter and the magnetic field of the sun may be interacting. This is only a conjecture on my part, so please feel free to criticize.

Reply to
Darwin123

This is possibly true due to ferromagnetic materials in the earths crust. However, on the sun, the temperature is too high for ferromagnetism. So the other multipoles almost dissappear when the dipole is strongest.

I>ts just

I apologize. I forgot about the ferromagnetism.

Reply to
Darwin123

The Earth's Geomagnetic field is generated in the core; as such any discussion of of magnetic materials in the earth's crust is not relevant to the issue.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

One cell in one domain--its magnetic moment over broad area bears [direct] currend, or arccurrend. Each orbital is a metastabil superconductor-superinsulator.

-Aut

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

lowly

Wrong, a balloon would sink at niht or winter.

The deep freezes were written in more than stone, but in worldwide fossils of trees, weeds, and I guess fish.

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

Hey, our Earth has two magn=E8ts. Maybe they each are cationic and anionic--then a neutralisation and flip would be rather easy when they inmingel.

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

Well, it took a little longer, but I just got Beltrami's book.

He actually has TWO analyses WRT geomagnetic "flips." Both show that a relatively small perturbation associated with an external magnetic field *could* cause a flip.

This would appear to support the idea that changes in ionic flow patterns in the atmosphere -- associated with the change in weather patterns at an ice age -- would make small changes in the atmosphere-caused magnetic field, and that *those* change *might* trigger a geomagnetic flip.

Neat stuff! Thanks Darwin123

Bill

Reply to
Bill Miller

I was at the circus last week and a family of hungarians with a lot of personal magnetism did a lot of flips.

Magnetism would have to come to an end and then reexpand. You cannot turn north in to south or vice versa because they are spinning in opposite directions. But we will never know which is which as they behave exactly the same.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

I was at the circus last week and a family of hungarians with a lot of personal magnetism did a lot of flips.

Hungarians...

Aren't they physically endowed men from Gary, Indiana?

Reply to
Bill

I agree. In fact, I would point out the following. Significant ferromagnetism works against the earth dynamo theory. Ferromagnetic dipoles don't flip very easily. Tell the others!

Reply to
Darwin123

The magnetic field cannot collapse to nothing therefore it cannot flip. There is also no way to tell true north.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

Why can't it?

Angular momentum of the atoms that make up the earth determines the north-south axis. The spin of the earth doesn't change. However, the magnetic dipole is generated by an electric current that forms due to convection of the liquid iron in the earth. Electric current contains almost no angular momentum.

Reply to
Darwin123

The current theory is that most of the field comes from circulating currents in the core, not from the core being permanently magnetised. If the direction of the currents changes, the direction of the field will also change.

--
Greg
Reply to

It doesn't have to collapse to nothing, it only has to change direction. So, for example, half way through the flip, instead of a north and south pole, we might have an east and a west pole, still just as strong.

It could also split up into more than one north-south pole pair which wander about and then join up the other way around. Which could make navigation rather interesting...

Actually, we had better hope that the field *doesn't* collapse to zero during the next flip, or we'll all get fried by radiation!

The fact that many reversals have happened in the past, and they don't seem to have caused corresponding mass extinction events, is somewhat reassuring on this point.

--
Greg
Reply to

I do not know what this mental block people have with 'convection cells ' which requires no association with planetary shape or rotational characteristics but then again you are no better or worse than anyone else in mixing rotational with 'convection'.

The viscous interior of the Earth comes under the concept of fluid dynamics and,without exception,a rotation celestial object with a viscous composition displays shear bands indicating differential rotation.Somehow,peopl;e manage to make the Earth an exception and organise the Earth's interior composition around a non-descript taffy composition in order to justify crustal motion using thermal 'convection'.

Grow up !,if you cannot figure out that the energy involved in creating the 40km spherical deviation ,due to the rotational specifics of the viscous interior composition, is many magnitudes greater than what is needed to generate and move ocean crust then there is little hope that you will understand the clues needed to explain the Earth's magnetic field due to rotation.

Reply to
oriel36

I attended a lecture on this once. Although the flips don't cause mass extinctions, they do create minor extinctions. Especially among organisms that migrate. However, we don't get fried. That doesn't mean that the organisms at this time are comfortable. Sunblock, anyone?

Reply to
Darwin123

It's a little hard to make a permanent magnet from a liquid. ;-)

The Earth is a huge tuned circuit, ringing at about one cycle per half-a-million years. After all, what's the inductance of a billion tons of liquid iron? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That suggests the main problem to them might be confusion of their navigational abilities, rather than radiation. Hopefully we're smart enough to overcome that one!

I don't think that would help. The kind of radiation that the magnetic field keeps out is charged particles, not ultraviolet light.

Lead foil hats might come into vogue, though...

--
Greg
Reply to

Which is why there are two magn=E8ts.