Stereo-to-momo summing Y adapter?

Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf Y adapter that's got the summing resistors embedded? My DTV box has stereo out, and my TV has mono in.

I could build one - bike up to Rat Shack and see if they have any RCA connectors, and just slap one together, but that'd be kind of a kloodge.

I don't really want to bike up all the way to RS just to find they don't have a suitable one.

BTW, for what I assume is "line level", does anyone have a favorite resistor value to use here? I was just gonna pick 1K and see if it flies, but I'm open to suggestions.

Or preferably, somebody's already making one. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Rich Grise"

** Go into the sound options menu for your STB and set it to MONO.

Fuckwit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hey Rich, I see that you're having about as much luck getting an answer as I did when I asked a very similar question about my DVD player with its stereo output into my mono-only input TV.

I also got a dumb-ass reply from old Uncle Philthy. My sympathies to ya, and may a colony of fireants make a nest in Philthy's shorts.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

a,

You are trying to sum two audio signals into one input? What's the input impedance into your TV? What impedance does the DTV expect to drive? (or what's it's output impedance.) With these numbers a simple resistor summer can be made. Without these numbers you might just play around. 1k ohm sound like a good place to start.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

3x 1K resistors should work fine.
   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

They don't usually have such an option, d*****ad.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Same answer: 3x 1K resistors.

Yeah, that's Philthy for you...

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

news.astraweb.com!border5.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe

"John Doe"

** This anonymous, criminal scumbag needs shooting in the head.

Plus his parents and his kids - if any .....

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

He survived a late term abortion, and still has the hanger embedded in his skull.

Michael A. Terrell

Yes.

I have no idea - I presume it's "line level" audio, so probably fairly high.

I dunno, but I'm assuming it's "line level" - it shouldn't have any trouble driving a TV audio input.

And there is no apostrophe in the possessive its. ;-)

Exactly. I wanted to know if someone already makes these, or do I have to build a klooge.

Yup, that's pretty much the conclusion I'm reaching.

For some reason, the idea of maybe 47K pops up in my head - it'd certainly reduce the loading on the outputs, but I don't know if the input is high enough impedance to not attenuate the signal itself.

Oh, what the hell - all I need is some RS plugs and a jack and I can dick around all I want to. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I would use 5-10 K resistors. In some cases you might want to provide an attenuator but not necessary here. There are some that try to sum for subwoofers. NOT needed. Just pick one channel.

I also got an RC matrix for going from mono to stereo.

greg

Reply to
GregS

After reading a couple of "John Doe" post, I would say it's an Alias of Phil!

Or twin poster.

I find it very difficult to accept the fact there could be more than one poster with equal mentality as you Phil.

Reply to
Jamie

Bullshit, James. I do not insult others unless they first insult me, others, or the group. I would ask for a citation to the contrary, but Google has totally screwed up the archive.

news.astraweb.com!border1.newsrouter.astraweb.com!npeer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!post02.iad.highwinds-media.com!newsfe09.iad.POSTED!7564ea0f!not-for-mail

Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)

gbibggbfamgkfdiokenaajobffgmphfmfoceaidgifflicmbenkdaamhhfadeojhlknodaelkmbcfhjmicgggnleppnkiijicbohheckijlafegjjeibldfafedojlndfjldooimgccmanmp

Reply to
John Doe

Well I apologize for my misunderstanding of you!.

I'll never happen again! :)

Reply to
Jamie

Once was more than enough.