Downed power lines

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:43:25 GMT, in message , scribed:

Oh lookie! The troll is trying to piss off another billy goat! What fun! Mommy must have gone on a long shopping trip.

--

If life seems jolly rotten, there\'s something you\'ve forgotten,
and that\'s to laugh and smile and dance and sing!

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 05:59:48 -0000, in message , jasen scribed:

*If* it's a three-phase distribution, and *if* it's a delta and not wye distribution, and *if* there is sufficient harmonic filtering at the delta transformers. On a lot of three-phase distributions, you'll see a neutral wire along with the A, B and C phases. You are correct, however, that the neutral is not there to carry load currents, but it is necessary to correct for load imbalances and other anomalies. On one- or two-phase distributions, you need neutral for return current.

Sometimes, it carries fiber optics.

--

If life seems jolly rotten, there\'s something you\'ve forgotten,
and that\'s to laugh and smile and dance and sing!
Reply to
Alan B

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 05:59:48 -0000, in message , jasen scribed:

From the quoted article:

"SWER systems are significantly different from the three-phase, three-wire and single-phase, two-wire systems commonly used throughout Australia. As the name implies, it is a single-wire distribution system in which all equipment is grounded to earth and the load current returns through the earth. Its loads are light and its lines are long, often causing the current to have a leading power factor...

"Originally, the earth return current was limited to 8 A at the isolation transformer to avoid potential step-and-touch problems for livestock and humans...

"Load densities. Load densities for a SWER distribution system typically are less than 0.5 kVA per kilometer ... of line with a maximum demand per customer of 3.5 kVA.... The load patterns and demands vary greatly ... thus, as load growth continues, SWER systems are reaching their technical capability. And with customers keenly aware of supply quality, customer complaints are increasing...

"Earthing. Transformer earthing must be reliable and have low resistance, requiring frequent testing to maintain its reliability. Poor earthing systems reduce safety and supply quality...."

Yes, still used down under, but not a great choice, IMO.

--

If life seems jolly rotten, there\'s something you\'ve forgotten,
and that\'s to laugh and smile and dance and sing!
Reply to
Alan B

--
LOL, the truth is that we, who know what we\'re talking about, are
presenting you with factual data, and you, who doesn\'t, is squirming

--- And if the lights go out what are _you_ going to do about it? Go down to the power company and tell them what they need to do to fix it?

Grab the downed line, carry it up the pole and reconnect it yourself?

Neither. What you're going to do is call the power company and tell them there's a line down and, if you have any sense, stay the hell away from the line until they get there. Or, since you're going to "study" high voltage and get yourself convinced that you know all about it, mess around with it and get killed. Oh, well... no big loss.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--
You don\'t even know what we\'re talking about, do you?

Go here:

http://www.darwinawards.com/

for a clue.

And stop top-posting, you obnoxious little cocksucker.
Reply to
John Fields

--- You're a goddam liar. You want out because you're getting the shit beat out of you and you don't like not being able to do anything about it.

---

--- Hogwash. High voltage is discussed here regularly without the histrionics that you seem to need to carry on.

---

--- Hopefully you'll OD on it.

---

--- Just stupid.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--- It's really doubtful whether, with that attitude, you _could_ be trained for that.

More than likely we'd all be better off, in terms of everyone's safety, if you and a bunch of your buddies got together and tried to type the Encyclopedia Britannica on typewriters with no legends on the keys.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

And hopefully, at some point in those studies, you will learn that simply having the knowledge and experience will not be sufficient to help ANYTHING "when the lights go out." No matter how much you know about the subject and how much experience you have, working on downed lines or any other part of the electrical distribution system without being in the employ of, or otherwise having the authorization of, the utility which owns and operates that system is just asking for trouble. You'd almost certainly be making the situation far worse, no matter what you do. Or are you under the impression that bringing a power grid back up is the equivalent of simply plugging in a table lamp that your cat has knocked over?

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

It is illegal to tamper with any regulated utility for any reason. If he doesn't get killed, he could spend years in prison. Lots of thieves steal downed wire after a bad storm, so there are some very tough laws in place.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OK Terrell, now that everybody with a brain is bored of this thread and gone and it is just you and me, lets get to the bottom line. What's it gonna take to make you happy enough to shut up. Do I have to do the job while wearing a company shirt with a logo? Is that enough, or do I also have to get someone to put me on the company payroll computer. Do I have to arrive in a company truck with the company logo, or would a POV suffice? How about if I buy a $100 "diploma" from your "Terrell School of Electrical Hard Knocks" ? If I buy that "diploma" it better be a pretty one--I want embroidery all round the edges, calligraphic script, real signatures in ink, and at least 3 Latin phrases! And one of those phrases has absolutely got to be "reducio ad absurdum".

Reply to
<tapwater

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:56:33 GMT, in message , scribed:

Looks like our little troll has run away from everybody else, and only wants his ass kicked by one person now. Lucky Michael!

"When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled...."

Reply to
Alan B

Is he still around? I figured that he would have given up by now.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He might get lucky and get sent to an institution for the feeble-minded. The food is probably better.

John

Where he\'d learn another meaning of "going down"...
Reply to
John Fields

Do you think the medication would improve his attitude?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What? Do you think that he's just wanting to play "Pick up the soap" with his new best friend Bubba?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
Reminds me of an old joke where this straight white guy goes to
prison and is scared to death by all the tales he\'s heard of rampant

The white guy figures he\'ll make the best of it, so he says. "The
husband.",  to which the black guy replies, "OK, get over here and
suck on your wife\'s cock."
Reply to
John Fields

It is 2006, the TV/Newspaper government is on its way out, replaced by the Internet. With the TV/Newspaper go its corporate sponsors and other "noble institutions". I'm sorry that you are living in the past. You will find all your favorite "organizations" when you join them on the ash heap of history. Now pass the home-brew, (What's that Terrell, it's poison and it will kill me and I should buy budwiser. Well I can't find bud anywhere, just home-brew and microbrew brewpubs.)

Reply to
<tapwater

--- But no home-grown?

Figures. Juicers like you like the oblivion of alcohol, wherever it comes from. Y'all are easy to spot. Low mentality, no staying power, and delusions of adequacy. Hey, maybe I'm wrong... drink up and it won't matter.

Unhappy with your "life"? Hey, have a brewski or a case and nod out like all the other losers in your circle.

No life? Hey, have a brewski or a case and nod out like all the other losers in your circle.

The solution for any problem you encounter? Hey, have a brewski or a case and postpone having to deal with it, since tomorrow never comes.