Also, in an earlier design using the same controller as above, we had the RAM and the controller on seperate boards, connedted with a 20cm long ribbon cable. But the RAM wasnt functioning correctly, we were getting garbled data when we tried to store stuff on the RAM..could it be due to the fact that the RAM and the uC were on seperate boards??

Thanks in anticipation, Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Mayank,

Determining if you've omitted too many capacitors is a difficult question. The easiest way to tell is to hook up a high-speed scope (with a differential probe) to the power supply (right at the chip pins or balls). Then, see if the supply ever dips below its rated limits.

As far as the faulty RAM (with the longer cable), there are (at least) two possibilities:

1) The setup time required by the RAM or its controller has been violated due to the longer transit time. 2) The clock line, to the RAM, has not been terminated properly. So, the clock edges (at the RAM) may not be monotonic. 3) There may be crosstalk, in the cable, causing the clock edges (at the RAM) to be non-monotonic.

#2 or #3 are the more likely candidates, but it's hard to tell without taking measurements on your setup.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It's common, nearly universal, to design in too many bypass caps; I've seen boards with hundreds and heard of boards with thousands. Most people just leave them in, but one can measure rail noise and remove caps to cut cost.

I know a guy who does dense digital boards and doesn't use bypass caps at all. Personally, I've never done a board that had too few, so he may be right.

Unless everything was properly terminated, and the critical sigs were straddled by grounds in the cable, and the prop delays were calculated, and there are no ground loops, this can be very bad news.

John

I once designed a MultiBus card with its area divided into about 1/3 ECL, 1/2 74Fxx TTL, and some analog stuff. The logic was running near the upper edge of its frequency range, (some of the time). Much of the logic was stateful and several different clocks traveled across the board.

According to my calculations, the digital sections needed a total of about 11 bypass capacitors if well placed. The board was layed out to meet my placement criteria. While verifying prototypes, I performed the procedure you just mentioned. What surprised me was that not only could I remove all the bypasses, but I could not observe any real increase in the rail noise after doing so.

Since then, I have been a great fan of adjacent power and ground planes for digital circuits. Most logic (excepting ECL) is equally hard on both rails.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

If you do a multilayer board with a thin dielectric between the ground plane and power planes (or even power islands) it doesn't matter much where you put the caps; the planes themselves are a superb capacitor. I sometimes add a few SMA connector footprints to a board layout so I can TDR the planes. As near as my Tek 20 GHz TDR can tell, a typical power/ground plane pair looks like an ideal capacitor, and adding bypasses anywhere just makes it look like a bigger ideal capacitor.

And this stuff about microstrip return current getting confused when "the reference plane changes" is 99.44% nonsense. Some people are obscessed with this silly return current idea.

If chips can change Icc grossly, like a CPU sleeping and getting an interrupt or something, you do need something to supply the gross energy without drooping too much.

John

But the point is, the high frequencies need not reach the larger discrete capacitances. They are shunted thru the nearby dielectric between the planes.

The fact that higher frequencies are successfully shunted can be observed in the low magnitude of voltage disturbances arising from the impulse-like load currents that accompany output edges.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

Hi guys..

One more thing..In such a design, is it absolutely necessary to use surface mounted caps? Whats the advantage these surface mounted caps have over normal ones? We have used only normal ceramics and electrolytic caps till now (both on the main board and the RAM board). They seemed to work fine on the board, though i cant say anything abt the RAM

Regards

Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Hi.

That would depend upon what the caps are called upon to do.

With careful placement of the vias that connect a SMD cap to the planes, the inductance can be kept lower than is possible when wire leads are attached to a ceramic cap chip. This gets the resonant frequency up and the minimum impedance down.

Of course thru-hole circuits worked for a long time. But the advantages of surface mount become ever more important as operating frequency and edge speeds go up.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

In general, how was it determine where the cap's needed to be placed? What value cap's were choosen?

I was told to seperate the analog and digital ground. Then tie them together at the input pins where Vcc entered the board.

If I tried what you mention it would not work!!!!

boats_ranger

Reply to
boats_ranger

I limit the distance that the bypassed current has to flow based on its highest significant frequency content and the magnitude of the disturbance I am willing to allow.

I don't recall. Either 10nF or 100nF.

Good luck. You'll need it with advice like that.

It worked for me. In fact, it worked so well that I could not observe an degradation of rail noise. It changed a little bit in spectrum, but not magnitude.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

You have my respect!!!

Does this imply placing the cap across the shortest distance from it's vcc and ground?

thank's boats_ranger

Reply to
boats_ranger

But isn't the point of decoupling CAPs twofold - to stabilize the energy source and to shunt higher frequency signals to ground ? Wouldn't having only a large capacitance value from the physically large power and ground planes be counter productive to that ?

Reply to
Rick

Yes, provided the referent of your "it" is any one of the set of devices generating the currents being bypassed.