Question about Capacitors

OK here is a question that I have never seemed to find some at least good guidelines on. What type of capacitor to use, i.e. electrolytic, tantalum, ceramic, etc.

Reply to
K2LRV

K2LRV wrote in news:225bd33d-09e4-40fe-9ae2- snipped-for-privacy@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

There are lots of guidelines, but capacitors are very complicated. The simplest approach is to use what's worked, so think about what you want to do, find a board from a successful commercial device that uses the same kind of functions you want to make, and use the capacitors they do. To do that you'll have to reverse engineer the circuit thoroughly or get a circuit diagram from the maker.

For specifics, as I know them (limited knowledge though) try these:

Tantalum for long life and stability, decoupling close to chips and other sensitive parts, and limit inrush current if you want to be sure they don't fail early. Electrolytic for large values, cheap, where reliability isn't critical, and no harm is done if they burst. (Sealed, cheap boxes, basically). Ceramic. Variable specs, but the really low values usually have better dielectrics than larger values, but avoid using them for critical timing functions. People do use them for timing things, but best not to. Metallised polyester, mylar, polypropylene, and many other rare ones are good for timing, have low variance with temperature and humidity, generally good for accurate timers. Teflon, polystyrene, and other high-cost caps, good for radio frequency timing, very accurate values and stability in a wide range of conditions. Mylar, teflon, polypropylene and oil-filled types for high voltage.

There is so much to add to this, and probably some corrections. Maybe the only really good way to know is to look at any circuit that is common, OLD, and still working well, trusted by lots of people. See how they did it.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

It depends. Here's a brief starting point

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns9B3EA2831BE81zoodlewurdle@216.196.109.145:

By 'old' I mean about ten years. No point in looking much further back that that in most cases. Also look at new types that make use of better materials that were known before but not cheap to exploit. New tantalums are good, and most polymer dielectrics are improvements of old ideas. Probably true for ceramics too.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I think there's also a section on the subject in Bob Pease's _Troubleshooting analog circuits_.

--
André Majorel
You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not

Don't use ceramic with high ripple currents, if you want them to be quiet. They can act like tiny piezo buzzers. I used a big electrolytic with a smaller tantalum in that case, no noise at all.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Oh God !

Buy a book !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If you need to troubleshoot a decent capacitor you probably aren't living in the real world.

Correction. There's no 'probably' about it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ceramics are NEVER used with high ripple currents you brain dead defective.

Go away and die.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Wow, someone's off his meds again.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Oh really..

Tell that to the military customers that required us to test the ripple currents on ceramic caps back when I was at Semco. We didn't actually make the ceramic material there how ever, we did complete the rest of the cap's structure.

The main line was mica epoxy dips with very high Q.

Think before you speak!, not every one makes only audio circuits.

"

Reply to
Jamie

As a first step, "electrolytic" usually means "aluminium electrolytic", and "tantalum" means "tantalum electrolytic". Both types of electrolytic capacitor have much larger capacitance than a similar size non-electrolytic, so will be used where a large value capacitance is required.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Provide an example of a ceramic caps with high ripple current before talking out of your arse.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Mica caps with very high ripple currents ?

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahah

Reply to
Eeyore

That would go against my original recommendation.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

That is, providing an example of ceramics used in a high-ripple-current situation would go against my original recommendation.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Is that the real Graham Stevenson or a forgery ? The Path: looks genuine to me.

--
André Majorel
You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not
the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists -- Abbie Hoffman.
Reply to
Andre Majorel

You absolutely do not know what you're talking about..

Stop embarrassing your self and move to a different subject.

By Eye-Sore.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Please post ripple current ratings for mica caps.

I look forward to seeing one that can handle say 10A !

MORON

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's genuine.

Anyone who thinks you use ceramic caps as reservoir caps needs their brain examined.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore