LTSpice high voltage capacitors

LTSpice seems to have a discouraging lack of "high voltage" (> 100V) electrolytic capacitors in its standard library.

Is there a third party library that's good to use?

Does it matter much for simulation purposes? Thanks.

Reply to
bitrex

No. The only time voltage on a cap would matter would be if the model included capacitance variations with applied voltage.

For simulation purposes a capacitor is a capacitor is a capacitor... ...Jim Thompson

And I would guess that all things being equal, a higher voltage eletro capacitor is going to have higher ESR for the same value, just because the dielectric is going to be physically thicker and more loss is going to be incurred polarizing it.

Don't know exactly, not like, a capacitor expert...

Reply to
bitrex

Maybe not. Check some data sheets.

Capacitors in Spice will happily work at 5 megavolts. So will most diodes.

Look up the typical ESR (and ESL if it matters) on a candidate cap and force those values in Spice, internal to the cap or with external parts.

lunatic fringe electronics

You may have to add series R to model ESR (and L for ESL)... the nominal Spice capacitor is ideal. ...Jim Thompson

Not by much. Certainly the dielectric isn't the problem (the dielectric itself is a darn sight near ideal, compared to the dissipation factor of an ugly old 'lytic!).

ESR is entirely due to electrolyte. Which is also why it varies so much at low temperature -- ion mobility.

HV caps use thicker foil (with coarser etching and deeper anodization), so the spiral has to be a little thicker for a given C*V rating, and will have slightly fewer turns; so you should expect the ESR to be higher (less electrolyte cross section), but not really by much.

Speaking of C*V rating, electrolytics are almost constant in C*V, with respect to the rated values of C and V. Which is not the same as C*V^2, which is energy. So they get quite a bit more energy-dense at high voltage ratings, so if you ever needed to store just a huge wad of energy, on relatively short notice, high voltage (up to 500V) is the way to go!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com