Curiosity

Just curious here.

I managed to break the tiny coaxial connector on my express card TV tuner. Decided to remove the connector from the PCB, cut the small coaxial plug off the supplied lead and solder it directly to PCB. Having got the connector off the PCB I checked for shorts with a multimeter and got 1.1 ohms. Couldn't see any solder shorts so thought maybe I'd overheated a component. Decided to connect up the lead anyway and the tuner works fine.

Why do I see a short at DC but obviously not at UHF? Inductor?

Reply to
Periproct

You only interpret it as a short.

There is likely a coil there for coupling to the next bit of circuitry, and of course when you measure it wiht an ohmmeter it will appear to be a "short". But it doesn't take much of a coil at that frequency, and you'd need much better equipment to see anything but a short, even though it's a perfectly legitimate coil at the desired frequencies.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Thanks for the reply.

I nearly binned the tuner thinking I'd killed it. Glad I went ahead with the repair as it was an impulse purchase and I probably wouldn't have bothered to replace it.

Reply to
Periproct