Counter ICs

pin 2 is wrong as well.

I should have just posted the you-tube link, but you-tube wasn't working here and I didn't want to post a link without seeing the content.

I should have checked this one more closely too, it had the air of being educational; but has turned out more educational than I expected!

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

True.

Perhaps those were "intentional" errors? ;)

I emailed the author and invited him to join us here in order to
discuss the errors in his circuit but, so far, no response via PM or
USENET.
Reply to
John Fields

He doesn't give a lot of info on what he's ultimately after

The CD4026 does all the heavy lifting with a 7 segment output

Counter latch decoder driver in one IC with a carry out for multiple digits, no fuss. Only downside is with a 3 milliamp drive capability it won't blind you or might not even impress without some high efficiency 7 segment displays

default

Use a CPLD. Some will easily drive a 7-segment display, even multiplexed several deep. Then he can use whatever style counter he wants. Even a direct

7-segment count is a trivial[*] exercise. [*] learning to drive the tools is a bit more complicated.
Reply to
krw

More expensive, ($14.95 at Mouser,) but more oompish, (for later projects?):

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I'd say go for whatever tickles one's fancy. And experience counts, so if one has experience with the tools then go for that. And if one knows others with experience who can help out? Same thing.

I have a bunch of the STM32 discovery systems. Love them. But I have to say that the tools are a slight bit more of an uphill learning curve for those doing any of this for the first time. The TI "easy path" is via IAR's toolkit, which actually is easy to get and easy to install and easy to use. The STM32 path is complex enough that I've actually received emails begging for help from me just to get started with the STM32 Discovery kit. I muddled through on my own. But I've had to help others figure things out. So I personally know there is a difference here. So if one hasn't done either of these, I'd recommend going with the LaunchPad. It's just easier for neophytes.

Regarding the STM32, I installed this:

Atollic TrueSTUDIO STM32 Lite 1.4.0

and,

IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM 5.50 Kickstart

I looked at other toolkits, as well.

By the way, the source code stuff for the Discovery kit is called:

stm32vldiscovery_package

There is a ZIP file called:

AN3268.ZIP

And a similarly named PDF file for the documentation.

Look for those, if the STM32 is the direction headed. It's really a great device, no question. And at the $10 price I paid for them, worth every single penny. So I agree there.

The whole area of 32-bit processors, though, can be a bit daunting to start with. There is so much to set up. If anyone takes a look at the provided example code used just to set up the STM32, it's frighteningly complex. Anyone without a fair bit of experience will find it mind-boggling. By comparison, the MSP430 is very much less complex to get going and working well.

Final note. The OP wasn't really talking about using a micro, at all, if I recall. So while using a micro is probably the "right way" to do this, it does also require skills and background and tools that may not be necessary with a hardware-only solution.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

All valid points - I tend to forget about the learning curve, since I use the STM32 family + IAR at work.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I had to laugh when I read your comment here. ;)

I just cannot possibly forget the learning curves I've had on most 32-bit and 64-bit processors I've used. I can't forget, for a moment, the 88k or the MIPS R2000 (or PIC32) or the STM32 or the Stellaris/Luminary micro stuff or, for absolutely sure, the x86 family starting with the 286 and 386 protected modes. By comparison, I can see forgetting about the learning curve with some of the 8-bit processors.

They are just ALL so complex. They have to be, because by the time an application demands such a beast (often in BGA and many hundreds of pins in size), we are also already talking about protected memory systems, AES encryption hardware on-chip (Energy Micro, for example), operating system rings of operation, caching of various kinds, and a host of complexities that almost demand a full featured operating system and set of libraries plus hardware tools just to survive. And expensive stuff, besides!! Not at all cheap by the time all is said and done, even if you forget the complexity of just getting to say "Hello world" on them.

I just received today, by the way, my new EFM32 Development Kit and EFM32 Gecko Starter Kit from Energy Micro. Haven't even powered them up, yet. It will be interesting and fun to play with, I'm sure. Hopefully, I'll find them worth doing something with. At least they are obtainable from Digikey and I have gotten _good_ support on the few questions I've had, so far. Time will tell.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

--- should have added the DEC Alpha -- that was work, too.

--- by 'they' I mean the 32- and 64- bit processor families.

--- by 'they' I mean the cpus, not the kits.

Reply to
Jon Kirwan