Digital frequency counter panel?

Is there some easy way to add a small LCD or other digital panel with a frequency counter, to a circuit? I was thinking of attaching that to the actual welder. I have separate frequency counters, but would like to know if there is an easy way to add a digital panel.

Ignoramus5533

A OEM Basic stamp and a LCD work great up to 60 Khz or so, with ~1 hz resolution, use a prescaler before that ie divide by 10 or 100 or 3 or whatever.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Depends on how accurate you need.

You can get inexpensive (

Reply to
Walter Harley

I see. Thanks. Well, I will wait with doing it.

Ignoramus21085

This is the perfect answer, thanks.

Ignoramus21085

Someone has programmed a PIC16C84 or 16F84 to do this up to about 40MHz, with a standard LCD panel (anything that uses a HD44780 chip or clone thereof). Google for pic frequency counter. I think the ham radio people like them.

I was meaning to write one that could do reciprocal counting to get fast updates on low frequencies but I never got around to it, partly because I got a very nice HP counter second hand so my motivation reduced.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Just because the meter can display 3.5 digits doesn't mean the problem requires that much precision. The OP didn't say anything about how much precision he needs, but from context of other posts I'm guessing that he just needs to know order of magnitude.

Reply to
Walter Harley

where do you get stable enough parts to get 3.5 didgts precision?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts