Cleaning tape goo from component leads

Hi folks,

I have a lot of components that are still attached to the cardboard reel tape (or whatever that's called) with masking tape. Many of these have been in my collections for years and I never thought at the time to un-tape them to avoid the goo all over the leads. For some things, the leads were long enough that I could just clip them off, and they're fine. However, I have a bunch of transistors and diodes where I don't have that luxury. Try as I might to cleanly pull the tape off, they've all got heaps of gummy goo on them.

I know WD-40 would take this right off, and Goo Gone will take it off after a soak, but I'm concerned about exchanging tape goo for oily residue. None of this matters for soldering I'm sure, but I still do a lot of breadboard experimenting and I'd hate to jam it up with goo or grease.

Do any of you guys run into this, and what do you do?

Thanks,

-J

Reply to
Jurd

I use the Goo Gone on cotton balls, then a paper towel to wipe away the Goo Gone. It also wipes away some of the oxides. If you're that worried, buy a small soldering pot to re-tin the parts.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Should I be worried about the oxides coming off? If I shouldn't be worried, then I won't worry :)

-J

Reply to
Jurd

If it's off it's off. if it's not clean it off. pinch the leads in a parer towel, to clean the solvent off. solderless breadboard doesn't last forever anyway.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

you're better off without them.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

They are non conductive. Tiny amounts won't hurt, but they add resistance.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In the past I've used small narrow point pliers with straight groove jaws.

Grip the lead loosely or you risk twisting the lead off the component body - twirl the component body so the lead rotates in the straight groove jaw.

NOS resistors that have been battered in the junk box will need straightening, these can be done by sliding the plier jaws to the end of the lead, rotate a little and repeat until straight. Smooth jaw pliers also OK for this bit.

Once you've got the lead pretty much straight, grip it lightly with straight groove jaw pliers and rotate - this will get the lead a little straighter, the straight grooves scurf the oxide off the surface of the lead, the buildup of oxide dredged up soaks up residual gunge from bandolier tape when you get to the tip.

Reply to
Ian Field

** Eucalyptus oil (Australian produced) works well for me.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Probably smells good too.