Beam Leads

Here are a couple of beam-lead schottky diodes, with an 0603 cap for comparison.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/BeamLeads.JPG

Has anybody worked with beam leads? Is it practical to use them on PC boards?

Here are some parts...

John

So adorable!

Wow, I'd say start with a proper soldermask and a via hole to drop the body of the diode so the leads are flush... I'd guess you want very little solder because the joint itself will dominate the parasitics of the package if it's too blobby. I'd put a little soldermask dam on each trace. Tin the traces, and then hot air? If no soldermask, just a home made Kapton temporary dam.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I think the preferred connection scheme is welding.

Martin Riddle

Nice picture, it looks like the parts are hovering. Please send me the construction manual for your anti-gravity machine :-)

I don't know, but for manual soldering Google finds this interesting text:

Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

It looks like they are levitating (see those shadows). Are they, and if not, how are they held above the paper?

Reply to
Robert Baer

You cannot use the soldermask dam scheme because that has been "recently" patented...

Reply to
Robert Baer

TIG or carbon arc?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer Inscribed thus:

They are sat on a clear plexiglass sheet over square ruled paper.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.