protected holders for Li-Ion cells?

Li-Ion batteries, particularly cell phone ones, are becoming ridiculously cheap these days but they still need well designed chargers and safety circuitry to protect them from overcharge, high temperature or excessive loads, so I'm wondering if there are battery holders with the above circuitry that allows the average electronics hobbyist using them instead of the ubiquitous safer but heavier, bulkier and weaker AAA/AA cells.

What I'm looking for is somewhat similar to those rechargeable external single cell batteries with USB power output, minus the battery since it should be removable, the external case and the 5V step up regulator circuitry as (protected) 3.7 Vcc would be enough. Do they exist?

Should I attempt to make my own protected holder and having no diy experience with those beasts, what is the best resource (books, sites, etc) you would suggest to start without burning my house?

Thanks!

Reply to
asdf

Batteryspace.com sells batteries, protection boards, chargers, and cases. You can buy pre-made packs or stack the components yourself.

A protection board is built into the battery pack to prevent giant fireballs. You don't want to charge, discharge, or expose the leads of a pack without one protecting it.

Kevin McMurtrie