frequency dividers

I would like to know how to make some simple frequency dividers

thank you for any answers

Kurt Stocklmeir

--

--- Posted from

kurt stocklmeir

If you use a square wave, a binary counter will divide by 2. The CD4040 is a

12 stage binary counter where the frequency of each stage is half that of the previous. I think it's limited to 5Mhz as the highest input. So if the input is say a watch crystal oscillator at 32768, each successive output stage will be 16384, 8192, 4096, 2048, 1024, 512, 256, 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1. But that's 15 stages, and there are only 12, so you need 2 counters to get down to 1 cycle per second.

Bill Bowden