A question about coil winding

Your NOT sticking with the crowd. Take some time and read some groups, you will find the convention is bottom posting. Regulars don't use browsers for a newsgroup, they use a newsreader. If you were right, you would not be getting flack from the regulars? Note, I agree with your logic, top posting would be easier for the way I read the groups. But that is not the convetion. You could drive on the right* so you so you have a better sense of where the centerline is, but that's not the convention. If you drive on the right it screws up traffic. Join the crowd. Mike

  • assumes your in the UK.
Reply to
amdx

It mostly depends on what you want to do. A few years ago there was no usenet and no regulars.. Just ordinary people like you and me. Then a few decided to become the "net cops" and make rules for others.

he logical method following the flavour of

,

s?

.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Mike

Reply to
sparky

Save your keystrokes. Josepi is just another of gymmy bob's nyms. A couple of the others he's used in the energy groups are john p bengi and solar flare. No matter the newsgroup, he *always* ends up arguing against proper posting form. Here are a few examples, see for yourself.

I can't remember which nym it was, but when he started using it here he bottom posted as part of his disguise. But his quackery gave him away, and as soon as he was outed he went right back to top posting again, and insisting that it's the standard, despite what by now must be hundreds of posts explaining the situation to him. Clearly, he'll never learn.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

--- Not _rules_, just manners and, as new as it is, tradition.

Have you ever wondered why a place setting at a polite table is set out the way it is?

It's because of the way the tools are used during a meal, with the order going from the outside in as the meal progresses.

Notice, particularly, how the sharp edge of the knife's blade is placed so as to face its user's plate instead of toward the guest sitting next to it.

A very gracious way of presenting a symbolically non-threatening attitude to a neighbor, methinks, instead of the perpetual frown you arrogantly hostile top-posters seem to confront everyone with.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

WTF kind of drugs are you on this time?

Not a bad troll except I see the asshole reputation you have here and "click". Too obvious.

wrote some lunacy news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... Save your keystrokes. Josepi is just another of gymmy bob's nyms. A couple of the others he's used in the energy groups are john p bengi and solar flare. No matter the newsgroup, he *always* ends up arguing against proper posting form. Here are a few examples, see for yourself.

I can't remember which nym it was, but when he started using it here he bottom posted as part of his disguise. But his quackery gave him away, and as soon as he was outed he went right back to top posting again, and insisting that it's the standard, despite what by now must be hundreds of posts explaining the situation to him. Clearly, he'll never learn.

Wayne

Reply to
Josepi

Late at night, by candle light, sparky penned this immortal opus:

Usenet was going strong long before there were browsers. In fact, the main means of communication at the time. Not counting IRC. It's declining the last couple of years due to Google screwing it up by making it available in browsers and the old-timers tiring of the mess.

Looking at the frontpage GooGoo make it look like usenet was their invention and a sub-set of GooGoo groups. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Usenet has come a long way since we used to ftp the messages down. Browsers were developed and threading became a reality and attaching messages to your reply became unecessary, except for clarity of response.

Top posting has always been encouraged by all browsers in order to keep headers with the their respective text and the latest posted information at the position the post was opened, by your modern browser. Some people just can't get out of the eighties with their Usenet technology, despite all their professed prowess with other technologies.

Looking at the frontpage GooGoo make it look like usenet was their invention and a sub-set of GooGoo groups. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

- YD.

--

Late at night, by candle light, sparky  penned
this immortal opus:

>It mostly depends on what you want to do.   A few years ago there was
>no usenet and no regulars..   Just ordinary people like you and me.
>Then a few decided to become the  "net cops" and make rules for
>others.

Reply to
Josepi

I never used ftp for Usenet since I got involved in 1995. This is the first time I even heard of ftp being used for Usenet, and I have heard differently how it usually worked.

Threading was a reality in 1995 and before, with newsreader and email/news software.

Newsreader software worked that way in 1995 and before also (and still does)!

Meanwhile, Usenet regulars are accustomed to looking for responses following what they are in response to. Browsers do not discourage that any more than newsreader software does.

The customs of Usenet were established by people who are now old farts, and the vast majority of those on Usenet support the old-fart customs, because of how they are accustomed to time-efficiently reading Usenet posts.

(and Josepi fails ro add quotation symbols as usual)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

sparky Inscribed thus:

I think you need to go and read a bit of history ! Usenet precedes the WWW by a long way. I was using it in the early 80's... Almost 30 years ago. Seems like yesterday. :-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Geeeezzzz. I guess you must be under 15 years old then.

Windows? WTF was that then?

AFAIK ftp was never used for messaging, except possibly some BBS. Threading newsreaders (with the original text attached) were a reality long before any Windows boxes came on-line. Hell, there weren't any Windows boxes at all at the time. Go read some history, will you? Do you really think www is the end-all and be-all of the internet? If you do, excellent! It means one less clueless weenie not getting into the real stuff and mess it up.

- YD

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
Josepi

Late at night, by candle light, "Josepi" penned this immortal opus:

AFAIK ftp was never used for messaging, except possibly some BBS. Threading newsreaders (with the original text attached) were a reality long before any Windows boxes came on-line. Hell, there weren't any Windows boxes at all at the time. Go read some history, will you? Do you really think www is the end-all and be-all of the internet? If you do, excellent! It means one less clueless weenie not getting into the real stuff and mess it up.

- YD

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

He's using Outhouse Excuse. That ain't no browser.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Back in the day, UUCP ruled.

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

No, and we also don't need to become acquainted with the intricate aspects of buggy-whip manufacture.

Some people adapt to changing times, others cling to the habits they learned to barely survive as others pass them by.

You cl> As usual, when you try to give one of the mentally deficient

Reply to
Michael B

As seasoned and thinking Usenet operators we should know better than to respond to the age old classic troll of posting style.

You have probably noticed that this was introduced as a sidetrack to some not understanding what they have posted and lacking defence for logic to back it up.

How is your coil winding going?

Some people adapt to changing times, others cling to the habits they learned to barely survive as others pass them by.

You cling, and seek to be buddies with other trailer- park refugees whose only value is to provide amusement, and protein if things get tough.

On Dec 24 2009, 11:21 am, John Fields wrote: As usual, when you try to give one of the mentally deficient Google-groupers a hand by clueing them in to USENET etiquette they fight tooth and nail to remain clueless and self-absorbed.

JF

JF

JF

Reply to
Josepi

I appreciate your asking. The local store with magnet wire has closed, it looks like I'll need to get it online.

Any favorite sources of wire?

Reply to
Michael B

Michael B Inscribed thus:

Nearest electronics junk pile.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Sorry, I been out of the wire and coil business for over 40 years. We used to get the odd experimenter come into the coil winding factories and ask to buy a spool and then return the empty for the deposit.

Find a local transformer / coil mfg. and get friendly.

Any favorite sources of wire?

Reply to
Josepi

Actually, 'usenet' is a lot older than the WWW. Before http and www, there was uucp (unix-to-unix copy). You could send e-mail and usenet messages without an 'internet'.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

ftp??? Boy, that came along much later. Usenet is an offshoot of old 'bulletin board' systems. Starting out on UN*X machines at universities, it used UUCP to transfer batches of messages from machine to machine. That was pre IP-protocol days.

Browsers

Change that to 'news readers' and you'd be right. 'Browsers' were developed for the WWW sometime later.

The simple proof of that is if you're reading in google groups or such, you're actually reading a page of html text. The server at google has taken the news-server messages and stripped and reformatted them into html for serving out to a web browser.

When you reply to a message using google groups, google's server takes the response from your 'post' message to the web server and puts its own news header on it and sends it to various news servers around the world.

Now you're just making stuff up. The 'headers' are not normally put in the text window but in a separate section not normally viewed by humans. For example in my news reader, I don't see any 'headers' in the text window. To view the headers I simply use a menu option.

Each news server that sends a message adds its own address onto the header but that has nothing to do with 'top posting'.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom