coil winding sensor

hello,

I want to make a coil winding machine, I would like to implement a sensor so I can count the velocity of the wire I am coiling so I can accurately count the length of the wire, is there any type of sensors out there that can do that. thanks k

Reply to
lerameur

Search on "optical interrupter".

To count turns you attach a wheel to your coil spindle that has a slot (or slots) in its edge. Then you shine a light through the path of the slots, and receive the light with a photo transistor. Then you count the number of times the light flashes, divide by the number of slots, and you have a turns count.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

--
But that only gives him turns, not length of wire, and if he\'s winding
more than one layer...

To get length he could run the wire over a slotted idler.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

the problem is that the sensor sees the wire, but this is thin wire and I dont think the sensor will actually the wire moving. I think by adding a control wheel with rubber around it while adding a sensor to that wheel could work good enough.

lerameur

You could measure the added weight of the bobbin after winding and, with reference to weight-per-metre data from the wire manufacturer, calculate the length. Seems the simplest way to me.

Chris

Reply to
christofire

--
It would be nice to know how much wire was going on the bobbin (or
whatever) as it was being wound, otherwise how would you know when you

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
You\'ve just described an idler.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I need about 1 pound, which is roughly 2100 feet.

lerameur

Disassemble an old mechanical mouse, attach a shaft from one axis roller to your control wheel. Presto! Instant pulse counter.

Forward *and* reverse. Straight into your computer.

Reply to
Randy Day

--
And your point is...?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

-- snip --

By achievement of the required number of turns?

Perhaps I've misunderstood - maybe this is about coil winding of resistors not inductors or transformers!

Chris

Reply to
christofire

--
Perhaps, but all the OP has stated is that he wants to measure the
_length_ of wire used to wind a coil (not the number of turns) and

nope, making an electro magnet. I dont think I will pursue with the project as is though. or at least leave it for a while.

lerameur

nope, making an electro magnet. I dont think I will pursue with the project as is though. or at least leave it for a while.

lerameur

Why 'velocity'? Why not just a wheel and counter?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise