Pancake coil winding

How are flat spiral (pancake) coils wound? How does the machine differ from a conventional computer controlled winding machine?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

Isn't it just the degenerate case of 1 turn per layer?

But the ridiculous aspect ratio (height of turns : width of turns way way bigger than one) will require some sort of bobbin wall.

I don't know much about "conventional computer controlled winding machines" but have run hand-driven Morris coil winders.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

do they dance with swords?

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

No! More like one layer per turn-- but how do they get it to stay in place?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thats SWords.

Reply to
donald

[snip]

Chewing gum ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Presumably with a bobbin. If you're seeing examples with no bobbin, then they were wound with a bobbin (or the moral equivalent - call it a coil former, if you like) and then probably varnished or epoxied, IMHO.

Ecnerwal

Cotton covered and soaked with tacky wax.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

They might be using self-bonding wire, with comes with a layer of thermosetting adhesive on top of the enamel; you wind the coil, then run a carefully calculated current through the coil to get it hot enough to set the adhesive,then take it out of the bobbin - the application notes specify the kind of bobbin materials you can get away with and the sort of release agents you have to use on the bobbin so that you can take it out of the bobbin.

Most of the people I've talked with who have built self-supporting coils didn't know about self-bonding wire and used slow-setting epoxy resin. Here's the first useful web-site that I found with a quick google.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Jim is ever-reliably out of touch.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Thanks, Bill, that's very useful information. I think I see how to do it now.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Coil dope? That or hard wax. Those are the only two I've seen used.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why not make a PCB with a spiral path?

Reply to
Robert Baer

A type of glue seems to be used; applied to the wire feeding into the coil.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Only if it comes from the bottom of movie theater seats...

Reply to
Robert Baer

How tacky? The wax was more tacky than my dumb jokes...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not possible.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Currently it is often done with PWB processes (selective plating or etching). Previously (about 60 years ago) it was done with litz wire and glue.

Reply to
JosephKK

I did it in free air. But then, that was 1/4" copper tubing ;-)

Tim

reward"

Tim Williams

That's not really winding-- and I'm not sure that PWB is practical for relatively small quantities of coils made with exotic alloys. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany