A little help here

Hey, I was wondering if it was possible to connect a phone to the computer to use as a microphone ? Ya know, a regular house phone . I've

connected the phone to one of the lines and am lost as to what to do next if this feat is even possible. Thanks, KK

Reply to
dakweenofdasouth

Hey, I was wondering if it was possible to connect a phone to the computer to use as a microphone ? Ya know, a regular house phone . I've

connected the phone to one of the lines and am lost as to what to do next if this feat is even possible. Thanks, KK

Reply to
dakweenofdasouth

Hey, I was wondering if it was possible to connect a phone to the computer to use as a microphone ? Ya know, a regular house phone . I've

connected the phone to one of the lines and am lost as to what to do next if this feat is even possible. Thanks, KK

Reply to
dakweenofdasouth

Oops I didn't mean to post three times!! Sorry, I'm new to Google Groups and have no clue as to delete it ...

Reply to
dakweenofdasouth

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1158940389.761763.299780 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

You're not on Google Groups. You're on Usenet through Google Groups. Welcome to the world's largest electronic discussion media available, and while it's often unmoderated you can't delete your posts once made very easily. (Speak carefully, your words can come back to haunt you.)

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

A computer sound card is intended to be able to power an electret mic, there's

5V power via a 2k resistor to do this.

Since a modern phone should have an electret mic it should be possible to make it function. Just conect it and see but you'll have to get the polarity right !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A lot of them don't. Oddly, I found a dollar store stick on mic that worked fine.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

The phone is expecting to be dealing with a 48 VDC phone line. Even assuming you came up with the 48 volts from somewhere, the output level of the audio signal will be much larger than that from a mic alone... though it might work on a Line input. But unpowered, I doubt you'll get anything at all. The really old-time phones used a variable-resistance carbon button mic that essentially acted like a variable resistor in series with the DC supply. The modern phones use an electret mic that also needs a supply, but just a few volts. Your phone will be expecting to divide the 48V supply by 10 or so to run the mic, plus there is other electronics that will need power in there.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta