Connect sensors to a mobile phone

These guys sure seem to have figured it out:

Never thought I'd shudder at the sight of a hunk of Perfboard...

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

A little pricey tho...

Does the phone have a modem port?

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Another one:

Joel Kolstad

Hi Pete, The kit from Jaycar will do exactly what you want to do.

Send me an e-mail if you need a schematic and some advice on how to control your pumps.

I have done a similar project using the Jaycar kit as in Silicon Chip magazine.

Regards Vinnie

Vinnie

I have a small farm that is located in an area with mobile phone coverage. I have installed some soil moisture and temperature sensors and have a pump and watering system. I would like to be able to receive readings from the sensors as SMS messages and then turn on/off the watering system from my home about 150 km away, based on my decision about the dryness conditions, again by sending an SMS. I have seen a few SMS controllers (Jaycar, Dick Smith etc.) but none seem to do what I want. Any suggestions?

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter K

Or there is a commercial version here:

Caliban

Try this

Less than $200 and uses a spare Ericsson mobile phone

John

Peter K wrote:

Reply to
John

Paul and Vinnie

Thanks for the response. I have looked at the Jaycar kit and it will do the job if you only want to turn switches on and off and receive alarms etc. There are quite a few other SMS controllers available that will also do this. I was looking for a device to actually send data from the sensors.

Regards Peter

control

coverage.

pump

the

conditions,

Reply to
Peter K

Hi Peter, hmm, it seems that you might want to measure realtime. sending realtime SMS is going to cost you a fortune. It seems better that you set a minimum trigger value and it then causes the system to SMS you when the trigger is reached. Im thinking that the (a?) systm could be rigged that you dial into rather than SMS.

hope this helps Paul

Reply to
Paul and Paula

It would be a lot easier to set up a computer controlled system - eg a laptop with input from those sensors and controlling the pump etc. You could set it up so you can log into the computer from your home to monitor what is happening, and change settings as required.

David

Peter K wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Probably no good as it it is not CDMA - not much digital service in the bush.

David

John wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Why keep yourself in the loop?

A local control system can do the control and then you could log into it remotely occasionally, using the mobile terminal as the Modem. Or maybe periodically upload the status to a web server and grab it from there.

SMS is not a very efficient communication channel - and in any case you will need to parse and authenticate commands sent via SMS which will require some custom hackery when making up the messages.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

It's a rope farm? :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

the

my

Dick

Maybe go read the Silicon Chip (in the past 12 months I believe) issue which dealed with this specific area. Apparently it can be done.

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris

Is there the possibility of utilising Radio for sending data?

ie: could you set up a small trunking or repeater system to send the data to your house?

Might this watering system be for some special plants that smoke good when dried out?????????????????????????????? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha oohhh look at the bunnies, they're all coming to get me, Aaarggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might also wanna install a Movement sensor or entry alarm, in case some official people try to access your "farm" to see what you grow!

It could text you with the message "Shit, Shit, RAID > I have a small farm that is located in an area with mobile phone coverage. I

Reply to
Emphatic

Not practical with 150KM.

Very likely |-)