Subject Author Posted Replies

Laptop motherboard form factor
3

Possible PLL Lock Indicator?
Possible PLL Lock Indicator? (Assuming PFD) TD varied from 9.9ns to 10.1ns in 0.5ps Steps. Where you place the delay (inverters) would depend on if set-up-and-hold time of D-Flop's are positive or...
40
40

AFCIs, MOVs, and Variable Speed Motors
Okay, so why does an AFCI trip during acceleration of variable speed motor with a MOV protected outlet strip between the AFCI and motor, but there's n o trip with the outlet strip removed, motor wired...
6
6

brushless motor magnet question
Outrunner brushless motors have the coils inside and the magnets on the inner rim of an outside bell. The bells are variously made of steel, aluminum, or plastic. All else being the same, does the...
1
1

cool lady
Math nerds rejoice in the beauty of the Fibonacci sequence hiding in the Mandelbrot set.
12
12

The actual fire damage at Keysight:
For the ones who claimed that I was wrong about the damage at Keysight, this is from the horse's mouth:

NASA Satellite Sees Overheated Tropical Forests Oozing with Carbon Dioxide
Looks like the beginning of the end started a few years back, the tripping point or points have been passed.
11
11

Contactors/Relays
I have futilely been seeking 100A 3ph NC/Form B relays/contactors. It seems they are all stashed in the "unicorn eggs" box, sigh. So a second design approach involves dual coil relays. The flavor I...
44
44

Stupid transients in SPICE
I've seen this before, but forget what causes it. Besides dumbass models, obviously. (IRFZ34N is the same ancient '96 MODPEX model you'll find anywhere.) Bad: V2 is: PULSE(0.6 36 1u 1u 1u 100u 200u)...
9
9

Google class is going to be the best invention evaaaaar !
The reason why it "failed" is exactly why it is going to "succeed". The unfair people in the cafees didn't like it. And that is exactly why it is going to "succeed". Because the world needs it ! This...

Indium solder
Win Hill recommended indium solder from Zephyrtronics, but they want $10 a foot. Is anything inferior about this stuff?
25
25

equipment safety categories
What's the meaning of safety category in a DMM? If the same DMM can be cat 3 to 600V and cat 4 to 300V, then what's it about?
2
2

another silly ED article
"However, Johnson (resistor) noise in the following preamplifier dominates the noise out of PIN photodiode detectors by perhaps 100 times, so any avalanche gain initially improves performance no...
1
1

Semi OT (physics related) Zeeman splitting
This is mostly a question for the physics types here. Though any input/ questions are welcome. It's rather a complicated question and experimental setup, I'll do my best. It's mostly a question about...
3
3

DC-DC converter advice (5V to 6.5V)
Hi, I have a client who is looking to incorporate a UV led that needs 6.5 V for operation. There is a existing 5V USB power but I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on how to convert to 6.5 V or...
6
6