cool lady

lunatic fringe electronics

Oh yeah? Check this out...

John S

I saw a bumper sticker in the neighborhood:

TALK NERDY TO ME

Hey, this is amazing...

Wouldn't they need thousands-of-bits floating point math to zoom the Mandelbrot set that far? And wouldn't that take a *long* time to compute? The very idea of smoothly zooming the set is boggling.

lunatic fringe electronics

In the comments area it says it took a 12 cores processor running 24/7 six months to compute.

Reply to
tom

[mandelbrot zoomed 2^915)

zoom was 2^915, so less than 1000 bits. and the arithmetic was probably fixed-point: all the useful numbers are smaller than 2.

depends how big your cluster is.

the video is striking.

Jasen Betts

I wondered how the "aiming point" was chosen, and found "I arrived at this coordinate through a lot of trial-and-error hunting through the Mandelbrot. Finding an interesting point takes almost as much time as rendering the video."

Ouch.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's cool. In grad school (80's) we'd hijack the lab computers to calculate some piece of the M. set over night, when they weren't being used to take data.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I wondered about that too. And that there *are* interesting focal points.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think we all did that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I designed a color graphic video generator for the PDP-11. The first thing we did with it was program Conway's Game Of Life.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Grin, at least all the nerds reading the computer recreation column in Sci Am.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I only read about half of each article. At that point in time I was starting my computer to see if I could convert it to software. I enjoyed seeing the magic pictures appear on the screen.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Yup !

--