Contactors/Relays

I have futilely been seeking 100A 3ph NC/Form B relays/contactors. It seems they are all stashed in the "unicorn eggs" box, sigh.

So a second design approach involves dual coil relays. The flavor I seek has one larger coil to close the relay, and a second, much lower power holding coil to keep it closed. Of course, I'm not finding them either. The ones I unearth are "close coil, open coil" flavor.

Anyone seen such?

Reply to
David Lesher

Are you still insisting on DIN rail mounting?

RL

Reply to
legg

Add your own solenoid.

RL

Reply to
legg

RL

Reply to
legg

This will handle 100A:

But you might need to build the 3Ph to DC converter.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

David - are the "close coil, open coil" relays the type that are opened by a pulse on one coil and closed by a pulse on the other?

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

AC relays and contactors do that automatically. The seated inductance is much higher than the open inductance, so the coil current drops when the relay is fully closed.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

??

I'm switching 3ph 208 VAC. SSR's are not usable; 1.4V drop * 3 * 100A = 420 watts of heat to sink per relay.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Have you looked at companies making star/delta soft starter relays ?

You might find some relays with NC or switch over contacts.

Reply to
upsidedown

look at 3 pole lighting contactors.

Also, automatic transfer switch 3 pole contactors.

Reply to
M Philbrook

What Philbrook said: Automatic transfer switch. Some manufacturers I've had GOOD experience with: Onan / Cummins Russelectric (Expensive!, but wonderful equipment!!) Caterpillar / CAT Koheler, but I don't recall if they make their own 3-Ph units?

"OK" Experience: Camsco

Generac (except for their big 50kW+ LPG/Propane generators, which are crap!)

BAD Experience: Zenith - Holds the World Record for sloppiest re-transfer in-sync monitor. (Actually, the phase monitor ain't bad, it's the switch that truly sucks!) They probably don't even make these anymore?

The above assumes a one-off "project". If you're looking to roll-your-own design, then ignore the above - although researching the respective designs may give you some ideas.

Reply to
mpm

You probably did more research than me; so, i'll take your words for it. Voltage drop of 1.4V seems too high and the 3ph factor is more than 1, but less than 3.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

No, but that's the least important aspect.... not finding any mounting type...

Reply to
David Lesher

This 'fail closed' issue may be a misconception. What mode of failure are you anticipating this to cover?

If there is energy available on either terminal of the open contacts, it should be harnessed to develope the required switch circuit state. If there is no power on either terminal, then its state doesn't matter.

RL

Reply to
legg

Or pay someone to turn it for us....

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

NO not NC main contacts.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Again NO not NC; further 1.5v Vfwd * 3 phases * 100A * 24 circuits == many watts of heat.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Yes....

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

None appear to be NC 100A....

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Nope. I want a relay with NC contacts; Form B...