Subject Author Posted Replies

anti-gravity?
Looking for opinion of persons better educatrd than myself. <> A veteran NASA scientist says his company has tested a propellantless propulsion drive technology that produced one Earth gravity of...
41
41

Re: An ink for 3D printing flexible devices without mechanical joints
Without joints, a mechanical man's more boneless squid than shark, it seems. FWIW, one of my multitudinous relatives recently gave me his lightly used 3D printer. (He now 3-D prints molds used in turn...
1
1

EUV video
's crazy that Cymer isn't mentioned. Cymer developed EUV in San Diego and ASML bought them. ASML is behind what’s arguably the most important technology in the world right now: extreme ultraviolet...

spread-spectrum model
I'm designing a switching power supply module and could reduce EMI by going spread-spectrum on the switching frequency. The simple one below reduces things by 20 dB. Probe the SS node and FFT. The ss...
15
15

Retro-computing tip
For you users who have things like e.g. SCSI controllers, IEE-488 cards, and stuff that connects to a PCI bus (you know who you are!) to interface with e.g. legacy test equipment. If there are drivers...
1
1

Re: PCB laser cutting
On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:16:27 -0700, Don Y snipped-for-privacy@foo.We buy blue anodized boxes and use a Boss laser to blast the artwork. saves a ton of hassle with labels and silkscreening. I tried...
3
3

Laser Mouse
If you have an Ikea desk and your LED optical mouse doesn't work right (something about the optics of the varnish) this should fix it: It was really annoying to be tweaking a PCB layout and having the...
6
6

Re: Re:Predictive failures
I don't mind how you pronounce it. ... Reminds me of a tenant who just removed the battery to stop the annoying beeping. ...
1
1

Predictive failures
Current and voltages outside of normal operation? Cheers
28
28

nice little 80v switcher
supply voltages seem to be going up, into the 50 volt range, so an 80 volt switcher is handy. This one looks nice. I'll get the eval board and play with it. I want to make an 8-channel programmable...

New technique lets scientists create resistance-free electron channels
There's money in quantum computing, and everyone wants a part. I'll stick my neck out and state that there willl never be a general-purpose quantum computer. I'll concede that it *is* possible to use...
2
2

gnarly PCB
layout guy is struggling with this. Actually, he seems to be enjoying it. It has two D25 connectors, 130 relays, 49 polyfuses, and the usual FPGA and such. 8 layers, four of which will be 2oz copper.
6
6

A Complex Metaphysical Conundrum
Gentlemen, This is an exam question that trips up even some of the best students. See what you make of it! Q: Is this statement correct: 'The signal level at the modem input increased by 2dBmV going...
42
42

Philips TL-S bulbs
Hey all, I have an old rail car design that used ballast-free florescent tubes in a 600 VDC circuit; bulbs used in series with power resistors, the circuit basically put 100 VDC or 60 VDC over each...
4
4

Proof of principle demonstration of 3-D magnetic recording
Great idea for recording. Now we just have to invent a reading system... Arie
1
1