Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: The end of HDMI?
Display Port might be a better alternative in the long run, it is royalty free. But it can't do everything HDMI can do.

Re: Serial port rates
can buy that for a few bucks yeah. sometimes oddball rates are useful. eg: DMX is 250K MIDI is 31K25 also you can do WS2812B 3 bits per byte at 250K 7N1 I came across something that was 1M, but I...

Re: How first cells could have formed on earth
I cite: "Next, [...] they added additional checmicals to create new mixtures." How did science journalism fall so abysmally low? Jeroen Belleman
7
7

Re: new inductors
On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:49:32 -0800, John Larkin wrote: How is it possible to wind that?
2
2

but spelling is not
Precision timing is critical to all connected embedded systems, from the board level to the network to the cloud, as all those involved must be synchronized.
4
4

Fun with spherical cows
So I have this gig coming in to build charge amps for a French ion accelerator lab. The specs are for 1 kHz - 60 MHz, ideally less than 0.3 nV/sqrt(Hz) noise, when hung off a detector using 250-mm...
8
8

Re: Fastener choices
If I had a vote, I say make it easy to take apart as something will go wrong - sooner or later. Unless this is meant to be tossed when it dies! John :-#)#
1
1

clamp diodes
Assume we have a 1-ohm 2512 current shunt resistor that we don't want to fry. My thought is to put a pair of big diodes across it to limit the current. The associated ADC will be maybe +-250 mV full...
13
13

Re: Boot from RAM feature
This is not a new idea. the only way to get an 80286 out of protected mode was a hard reset. usuing a virtual machine is probably easier.

Re: Compound vital for all life likely played a role in life's origin
This is the creationist "watchmaker" argument, and Richard Dawkins demolished that argument in his book Larkin provides his own counter-examples - he doesn't appreciate how electronic design works but...

OT : Relativity Q
I'm in a spaceship travelling at 0.866c away from Earth. AIUI, that's a time dilation of 2, and my speedometer, which of course uses my on-board clock and a set of mile markers laid down by a previous...
3
3

'Logic'
Why is it sometimes digital alarms sometimes don't go off? Every once in a while, you find that when they reach the appointed hour, they simply remain silent. The old-style 'bell & ringer' mechanical...
6
6

Re: Disk drive "seals"
It is an anti-tamper measure so that the manufacturer can tell if the disk has been opened up to atmosphere outside of a clean room without having to bother with a visual examination. Breaking the...
7
7

Re: LC oscillator using BUF602
Perhaps. Neither inductor has any parallel capacitance, and L2 hasn't got any series resistance either. Replacing L1 with a 150n Wurth ferrite bead, which does come with full set of data - the part I...
1
1

Re: a little oscillator theory
I read somewhere that to get the lowest possible phase noise, the gain element should be cut off for most of the cycle while the tank freewheels. Once per period, it should give a little kick at the...
15
15