year-end buys

We're seeing a small flurry of orders by people who are harassing us to ship before the end of the year; our standard quote is 45 days ARO. This is unusual, especially as, traditionally, nothing much gets done this time of year. Rush orders from national labs, near the end of the federal fiscal year, are common, but this is new for non-gov purchases and the calendar year. Anybody else seeing this?

John

Our purchasing got frozen last month--you have to get the Controller's permission to buy anything over $250.

Cheers,

Phil "At least I can have paper clips" Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Take a paper pad home every day ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Could be they expect next year to be significantly less profitable so they want to move expenses into the current fiscal year. Loss carry backs should make it neutral, but maybe they'd rather be assured of having the money available next year rather than the year after.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

No, but I have seen a marked uptick in business at almost the exact time frame the stock market took a nose-dive. Right up to the point where there weren't enough hours in a day. That was quite unusual.

Could it be that some of your clients are expecting not so favorable changes in the tax code after, ahem, the last election?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

--
Maybe they\'d rather buy stuff they can depreciate or get a tax credit on
instead of taking a tax hit.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

The weirdest thing just happened to a friend: Profitable company with excellent track records, looking to lease larger digs. Found a nice building. Now the new landlord wants them to take out insurance that protects his side of the lease contract in case they go out of business. Now that is something I've never seen before. I've negotiated building leases myself (on the lessee side) and never ever heard of such thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Next up: Landlord will also want insurance company #2 to protect him in case insurance company #1 goes out of business. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Never heard of such a thing. I see that the Aussies have something called "lease performance bonds", which is a bit similar. Sounds like it would be expensive.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Used to be you could just look at a Company's financials and determine their solvency and/or ability to pay. With all these derivatives, foreclosures and Ch-11's, I guess the landlord is trying to over- securitize their interest. (Wonder if they'll accept AIG Insurance?)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

My friend hadn't heard of it either and was very much taken by surprise. I believe he'll send that landlard packing if he keeps insisting on it. If it was me I'd be looking for a building to buy. Just what John did. No more landlord issues.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, this is a smaller business that doesn't play financial tricks. It can't be tough to find out what their on time payment history is, then the landlord would know they'd be good tenants. OTOH maybe he lost half his shirt in the latest stock market tumble and doesn't trust anyone anymore.

ROFL!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It may just be noise. I was wondering if anybody else has seen the same thing.

John

The landlord can insist on silly guarantees if there are lines of people begging to rent the property. If not, he can leave it empty for however many years it takes for the demand to return.

Markets are great that way.

John

In don't think it's noise. Little confession here: I find myself thumbing through the web and catalogs. For stuff to order before Dec-31 ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If you use the calendar year for your tax year, and plan to expense the stuff, that makes sense. The big aerospace corps generally do neither.

But, more generally, how's business lately?

John

That's the thing I don't understand: It's humming! Quite a contrast to the stock market lately.

Or maybe analog engineers are really beginning to enter the extinction phase now. I find myself increasingly in a position to have to explain things in more detail.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Uh, wish I was... Actually sales have been steady, nothing surprising. The main drop (ours drop as Christmas and New Years comes) has not happened.

Reply to
PeterD

Right. That's weird.

John

Same here. Strange.

I think that's happening, but of course very slowly.

John