increasing employment by firing people

This is sort of like the faster-than-the-wind sail car:

John

This l "Cuba eyes more self-employment as massive layoffs loom"

Maybe they changed it on you.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

No, the government just can't continue to employ 95% of the workforce. So the best way to create viable jobs is by firing people.

I could have told them that years ago.

John

Yeah, by firing government people. That a) converts them from overhead into productive citizens and b) stops their government activities, which usually consist of torturing private citizens / businesses & making their lives harder.

So, for a large swath of these people it's an economic win-win.

Sure.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

..

This part says it all:

" After the crash of the former Soviet bloc, Cuba's cash-strapped government in the 1990s approved a wide range of self-employment. Positions such as beauticians, dog groomers, small restaurant owners and even lighter refillers were legalized as long as workers got licenses and paid taxes.

But social resentment emerged as an issue when some workers, particularly in small private restaurants, achieved dramatic levels of success.

The government began increasing taxation and regulation, and decreasing license-granting, until the self-employed sector was largely rendered paralyzed, like the rest of the economy. "

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Oh, but what does this have to do with "faster-than-the-wind sail car"s ??

;-)

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

.

The FTTW sail car can easily be built.

Regards

Reply to
djj08230

.

Given this guy's record for lies and deception, why give brain fart the time of day?

Reply to
miso

..

Lies and deception?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Because for most people, it's counter-intuitive.

John

Yeah, he's a racist, too!

Reply to
krw

fa...

Here's basically the same story in a Russian newspaper:

and the UK:

but the full thing is here:

20100802030743

So, take your choice.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I worked in Moscow for a while. Nobody did much. People showed up late, with pastries, made a big pot of tea, socialized, and played cards. People stole all sorts of supplies "because nobody owns it."

I wanted to work on Saturday, and they were stunned.

John

I was happy with Breitbart's version. I was just doing a preemptive "Miso".

Reply to
krw

fa...

??

But, hilariously, Raul, the Marxist revolutionary, gets it. And he's right.

This prospect is chilling:

" '"With experience accumulated in more than 55 years of revolutionary struggle, it doesn't seem like we're doing too badly, nor that desperation or frustration have been our companions along the way,' the president said. "

55 years of stimulus packages and excuses, 55 years of failed centralized planning (of a far smaller country). Scary.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

e:

41cfa...

That recalls Bastiat to mind ...

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat

Naturally. They're not stupid--why work for something you won't own anyhow? Everyone gets that, even simpler animals.

That's the problem with Obama-think, and the strength of the Founders' plan: human nature. One seeks to change it, the other to harness it.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I like (?) this bit:

"The government began increasing taxation and regulation, and decreasing license-granting, until the self-employed sector was largely rendered paralyzed, like the rest of the economy. "

Equality - the communist ideal.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sure. And it only took him about 60 years to figure it out.

which inspires a couple of new Larkin's Laws:

#431 People who don't understand economics shouldn't be allowed to manage economies.

#432 Nobody understands economics.

John

a...

Hard to find bigger scum than this guy.