"Wireless" Power Transmission???

At the time, was a 'new' function. It's alright to announce with lower than desired effiiency, because the announcement involved a 'new' function. And, by demonstrating WPT, albeit lowered efficicny, MIT actually legitimized the concept.

There are several design parameters that when controlled properly yield efficient transfer. In the basic design, if you let a parameter slip a bit; the efficiency takes a big hit. I start at a goal of 95+% to give room to back off. Usually allow for transitory drops down to

80%. Yes, the efficiency is an AVERAGE, not fixed.

Know of any investors out there that want to build up a 'demonstration' room? I've got the vacant rooms/lab space to do that right now. Could set up to demonstrate 'portable' luminaires, or go for the big ones, the power hog appliances. Imagine setting up a buffet of food warmers, coffee pots, etc WITHOUT being tethered by AC cords.

Reply to
Robert Macy

It's faked. I've lit up fluorescent tubes with RF before (and gotten zapped when I drew an arc). The color of the tube is quite different illuminated with RF than with 60Hz. It also tends to light up one end of the tube with a very uneven glow. If you know a ham radio operator with an HF rig, ask him to light up a 40 watt tube for you.

Did you notice that the bank of fluorescent tubes blocks the view of everything between the receiving coil and the transmitting coil? For photographing a demonstration, the equipment is positioned in a very awkward manner. I would have the two table arranged equal distant from the camera, with the (conductive) globe in between, and the line between the tables perpendicular to the camera. Instead, it's very strangely arranged, apparently to cover up whatever is connected between the tables. There's a current probe on the table, but the speaker spends all his time standing in front of the oscilloscopes blocking our view of what I suspect is a horizontal line or possibly a

60Hz display.

The wiring of the 8 fluorescent tubes is also carefully hidden. Methinks that they're wired in parallel, rather than series, with ballasts on the back of the plywood.

My guess(tm) is that there's an extra wire run between the tables, providing the return path.

Also, at 6:44, there's a view of the oscillator allegedly providing the DC to RF conversion. Ignoring the phenolic board, and that fan that isn't turning, we have some unknown power devices with the center lead (presumably the collector of a transistor) connected to the heat sink. No mica insulators or silicon grease, which makes it a rather odd design for anything spewing RF. The long leads might work at a few hundred KHz, but no higher. The phenolic board show no sign of heating, that I would expect with a device requiring fan cooling. No fuse in sight.

In 7:12 is a photo of the "transformer" wrapped in electrical tape and allegedly cooled with a fan. If it really generated any heat, the fan would not be sufficient to prevent the glue on the tape from melting. Incidentally, the choice of using a green wires, with a yellow stripe, for a transformer winding is odd, as that is what's usually used for protective electrical grounds. This rather suggests that the wire was salvaged from an electrical power cord. I don't think the mess of components and coils does anything, has never been powered up, and has never experienced any heating requiring the numerous fans on the table.

The coils look like an attempt to appear like a Tesla coil, complete with discharge balls at the top, but without a primary winding. The little ball on a lead at 5:37 is not a capacitor as claimed. Were it a real Tesla (resonant) coil, there would be a high voltage glass plate capacitor.

In short, the whole thing is a fake.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Agreed. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to assemble all that junk and make the video.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

El 26-04-13 23:23, Greegor escribió:

Hello Greegor,

Many new developments don't make it to the market, one can't foresee everything. I think that your examples have/had (some?) potential to become successful. However this WPT thing has zero potential.

The WPT video suggests that their "technology" can be used to replace the high voltage grid. In my opinion, such claim you can only make when you have too much ethanol or other drug in your system.

--
Wim
PA3DJS

You won't mind having your electric bill increase by a factor of five?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

The great majority of it is, if you stop to consider that the coupling
between the primary and the secondary of a transformer isn't ohmic.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Oh, sure...

All of our hydroelectric is going to be shut down in favor of what?
Reply to
John Fields

and you call yourself 'good at math'.

What a joke you are. Might help if you actually knew what numbers to put together and what the results mean.

You are a statistical total retard.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

1/0.2 = 5. You got a problem with that?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

:

for

Anything that can generate 1.5kW in a small antenna is likely to spend a great deal of time preheating the kitchenware.

With no stray metal, WWVB gets about 65% efficiency at 60KHz with two sets of four 122m tall towers 857 meters apart, helix-houses with computer-tuned inductors at the bottom, etc.

(I personally would hesitate to live somewhere with fields high enough to generate 1.5kW in a small antenna.)

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Manually produced power requires labor and any losses can get passed to us.

The wind, tides, and the sun have ZERO cost to 'extract' and therefore, NONE of your claimed losses would get passed on to us. It is 100% free and supplementary to what we manually produce.

So, no, idiot, the electric bill will NOT increase by a factor of five.

Like I said... You are a statistical nit wit... At best.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

s to

e,

e.

A 20% transfer efficiency throws away the "free" energy from four of those five "free" solar panels you just bought. "Free" adds up quickly.

:-)

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Sounds like you just explained why wind and solar power cost zero cents per KWH. I assume your house and business pay nothing for electricity.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

te:

W for

.

%+

se

Congratulations on finding an excellent example of how NOT to do WPT. Very seriously, that is not the way to do it.

Their efforts would be better spent with specifically approved 'beam' approaches, or as I mentioned before, conquer/control 'ball lightning'

Reply to
Robert Macy

In fairness to the inventor, this device has been under "some" scrutiny and obtained funding from an experienced source. Although there are obvious deviations from Tesla's concept.

I appreciate most of what you have said. The whole thing looks a bit amateurish. And, having once been an amateur, I would know.

However, if the lamps were wired in parallel, as you assert, wouldn't they ignite all at once? In the video, they light in sequence, suggesting progressive conductivity from one tube to the next..

Cgris Warren

Reply to
cwarren

What scrutiny, whose funding, and which experienced source? Names and numbers so I can dig out the details. I spent much of the late 1990's advising vulture capitalists as to the viability of such schemes. Most of the better science fiction schemes had testimonials, published papers, and sometimes had patents. I know a theatrical fake when I see one.

I have nothing against the amateurish messy wiring. Many such devices are full of experiments that require changes and additions that inevitably create a mess. However, this mess looked like it was thrown together from a random collection of parts, serving no useful purpose. More to the point, if the device was sufficiently well developed to be suitable for a demonstration, they would have had a properly laid out PCB, no clip leads, and fans secured to the device, rather than randomly dumped on the table.

Good point. At 8:05, it certainly shows the lights coming on sequentially from the left. It's easy enough to fake that effect with a digital timer or sequencer. My guess(tm) is that they thought it might look more impressive if the lights came on in sequence. I can guess(tm) how they might have faked it, but there's no way for me to be certain from the video.

Here's what the lights looked like before power was applied: No covers on the light fixture and no ballasts anywhere in sight which makes sense if they're going to wire them in series. Of course the arrangement is positioned so that we can't see the wiring, and more important, can't see the wire(s) between the two devices.

If I were doing the series wiring, I would wire it in a serpentine pattern, which offers the shortest wiring. If RF was used to power the lights, I would also expect the lights to come on in the same serpentine pattern. Oddly, they come on about 1 seconds after the guy in the lab coat turns on the switch, just like a real fluorescent bulb.

I caught one frame at 8:07 of the scopes just after he applied the power. It went from a flat Ov line to a sine wave, which is unlikely to come from the rats nest of components on the table, but would likely come from the clamp on current probe on the AC line. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the time base settings, but I'll guess(tm) that it's more likely 60Hz than hundreds of KHz. Actually, I couldn't even identify the Digitech scope. Looks like something cheap made in China, but Google isn't finding any references.

A few more trivia items. I only wear a lab coat when I need to wear a suit and tie, and don't want to get them filthy. I don't wear a lab coat over a sports shirt. The pocket full of pens and junk is missing.

In order to light up 8ea 40 watt bulbs, the device would need to deliver 320 watts of power. Most of the transmitters radiated RF will to places other than the receiving coil, which includes the camera used to make the video. At 50% efficiency, that's another 320 watts scattered all over the photo lab. I've tried to make videos in the immediate presence of a low frequency RF antenna and had the RF either trash the image, shutdown/hang the camera, or in one case, fry the electronics (fortunately not my camera). The camera didn't even hiccup.

I don't have an instant answer to the lights coming on in sequence, but everything else about the video is certainly faked.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

All they seem to be doing is putting resonant tanks near one another, and playing with that for 6 years or so. That not original, and so far it's not practical, either.

Get a Spice model to work first.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I don't follow at all why the lights would come on in any pattern. Wired in parallel, they all see the same voltage and I would expect to see them all come on at about the same time... wired in series they all see the same current and I would expect to see them all come on at about the same time.

Am I missing something? Is there something special about the AC they are being powered by?

...snip...

Please explain why the lights would come on in sequence using anything other than a rigged setup?

I'm surprised that no one seems to find any problems with modeling the earth as a insulating shell lined with metal foil. I expect they can make the rest work. It's not really wireless, its using the earth as a wire, no? So how good of a wire really is the earth? The fact that you can detect a lightning bolt in the ground 10,000 miles away don't imply that you can usefully treat the earth as a wire across even a city block.

--

Rick
Reply to

--
But wait...

Electrical power harvested from the wind, the tides, and the sun isn't
free, since the transducers aren't free.
Reply to
John Fields

Yeah sure, plus it may cause the planet to spin off balance!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie