Wireless Non-Radiative Energy Transfer = scalar wave transmission

Hi all,

The description of Wireless Non-Radiative Energy Transfer by Marin Soljacic et al uses something called 'evanescent fields' to transfer power. Are these evanescent fields the same as the scalar waves demonstrated by Jean-Louis Naudin here:

...and by Konstantin Meyl in the devices and kits available here:

Or are evanescent fields something else, and if so, how are they related?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
S Claus

r.htm

I'm no expert, but magnetic fields can penetrate a Faraday cage, and thus obviously modulated magnetic fields can also to some extent. This is a near field non-radiative effect, and seems to correspond to what Naudin's device is doing, despite his protestations that he is canceling the magnetic field, and left with a "pure potential".

There seems to be something mystical about the use of electronics, in that it's possible to build working devices that do _something_, being skilled in the art, but not necessarily therefore be giving the correct theoretical explanation for what one is doing -- like an alchemist.

Just my uninformed two cents.

Reply to
Edward Green

r.htm

On further reading...

"Evanescent fields" are part of mainstream EM, "scalar waves" are not. Probably, again, what is described in your first citation can be described by a group of standard buzz words, such as "near field inductive coupling", or, as you mention "evanescent fields"... which are "evanescent" not in the time domain, if I understand correctly, but in the spatial domain (misleadingly), which means they are fields which penetrate what in quantum mechanical terms would be a forbidden zone, wherein they die out exponentially with distance. The relation of the two concepts which you ask for would be "mainstream explanation of observed phenomenon" vs. "proposed alternative explanation in terms of new science".

It's telling that these supposed scalar waves are also called "Tesla waves" (loc. cit.): Tesla was of that ilk I spoke of, of great practical ability in electrical apparatus but also of a mystical tint, or at least not satisfied with the standard theory; to this day there is a kind of evanescent residue of his proposals penetrating standard EM, where it is theoretically forbidden.

There are still a few people around this zoo^H^H^H group who know something about radio, but I guess they are just too bored to comment, even for a pleasant pseudoscience debunking fest.

Reply to
Edward Green

Ok. "evanescent waves' means "waves that die out" ["vanish like vapor"] Which sort to kills the idea of power transmission, doesn't it?

And while we are at it take a good look at the Caduceus Coil. Think about how it's wound for a minute, OK? It's what we in radio land used to call "a two layer coil". But be very careful because of the particular shape of this two layer coil, it is very dangerous in that it can attract physicians and others in the medical community. And as has been well established, Doctors are MUCH more dangerous than guns! So take your Caduceus Coil to the next Coil Buyback in your area and do it for the children!

Have fun, apes ^H^H^H^H guys, but play nice!

Reply to
Benj

IIRC they die out in space, not time. This allows power transmission, but limits its range.

Reply to
Edward Green