WinZip failure? - dll.z (0/1)

Many NNTP servers reject attachments of ANY SIZE in non- binaries newsgroups like this one. For example, I use Supernews, one of the larger Usenet providers in the US. Your attachment never even made it into the list.

Please post your binary in an appropriate newsgroup and point to it from here. You put the propogation of this newsgroup at risk when you abuse the rules.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Sorry for the attachment. (Not really, but I picked a small one.)

The attached dll.z file was ftp'd in binary format. I had hoped that WinZip could extract the contents. WinZip complains and says it's not a valid archive and to download it again. Looking at it with notepad, it looks like it ought to be an archive (Unix zip?) but I can't be certain just from looking at it.

If somebody could try real Unix on it and let me know what it is and which Winders application I might use on it, and a bunch of others like it, I'd be forever grateful*.

Jim

*grateful... indebted to the point that I might not point out your next foxpass.
Reply to
jmeyer

Beyond the issue of attempting to upload an attachment here, you should try extracting / viewing the archive using BZIP2.

You can get it at :

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

In addition, there are several 'bots that scan Usenet looking for binaries posted to non-binary newsgroups and issue cncels for them, so the newsservers that accept cancels (usually the smallest ones, but there are a lot of them) will also not carry such posts.

BTW, Considering text text traffic only (there are individuals who post images of DVDs that use up more bandwidth than all of us text posters put together), and if (and only if) you include the microsoft.* groups in the count, then the public msnews server is the largest, followed by Google, then Supernews. News.individual.net used to be on top, but they lost most of their users when they stopped being free.

Reply to
Guy Macon

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:44:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wroth:

That message was supposed to go to an e-mail list server that I belong to instead of here,

I must'a mashed the wrong button.

Even so, earthlink.net delivered the attachment to the s.e.d news group. I'll put a copy over on our binary group just in case anybody wants to look at it.

Newbies are always welcome at Clydelist.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

If you mean the bzip2-1.0.1.tar.tar file, it opens just fine with WinRAR 3.20. You can get WinRAR at

Geof

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

valid

like it

looking at

it, I'd

foxpass.

Hello Jim,

Three is a "compress" and "uncompress" command in UNIX. This "compress" adds .Z at the end of the file. The other chance is the "gunzip" command. Both commands should be also available under cygwin for Windows.

Here is a "gunzip" version for MSDOS in a DOS-box.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald