Windows Vista content protection: a big long suicide note

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:26:54 -0800, "Joel Kolstad" Gave us:

It is more than a mere firmware change, and no, none of the single layer burners could do the task. The read head, in particular is different as is the commands that address it's motion, it's range of motion, as well as the software that goes behind setting focus points for the layers, etc.

PERHAPS a FEW drives made as the dual layer technology was being brought online incorporated read/write heads that could do the job, but if so, it was by choice, and those burners WOULD in fact be updatable in firmware, or a mere software flag at runtime.

My first laser disc player was a complete zinc cast optical bench in miniature, complete with a 6 inch HeNe gas tube laser. There were two aim-able mirrors as well as a HUGE main focus lens assembly. This is due to the fact that a 12" platter can have a huge amount of wobble in it. I have seen read head lens move up and down 3/8 of an inch while tracking on the outer areas of a warped-more-than-normal disc. The read head optics were in an assembly that looked exactly like a speaker magnet and voice coil assembly (I still have it).

This is one reason why the 12" form factor went away. the bigger it is, the more it costs to produce, not to mention warehouse, and ship.

Today's integrated laser diode/read sensor/ main lens assembly "heads" could in no way read twelve inch platters. Smaller is better anyway. I'm sure that when holo-disc gets out it will be 3.25" form factor... at like a half a TByte each. It's a brave new world. :-]

I can still remember getting my first full ht 1Gb SCSI drive. I was thrilled. I called it my "black hole". I laugh now thinking back on the hundreds of dollars I sunk into that. I can get a 300GB SATA 2 screamer now for less than a hundred bucks!

Reply to
JoeBloe

sci.electronics.design.

Holy Shit! I have read only half of that missive, and it seems that we are in more of a dictatorship than any paranoid person has alluded to! Maybe we need to have those Arab extremists "visit" these idiots.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Damn good thing i am still using Win98SE....

Reply to
Robert Baer

sci.electronics.design.

Heaven forbid! All you need is Linux.

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson, author   |
   Shell Scripting Recipes:     |  My code in this post, if any,

Performers ? They are just the hook onto which such technologies and laws are mounted. There are tons of people involved into this content protection : Engineers, lawers, copyright companies, national copyright agencies. You can be sure the performer still gets just peanuts if at all.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Plus information on the hardware to run it (or anything) on - which will be missing before we know the way things are going...

Dimiter

Chris F.A. Johns> > Jan Panteltje wrote:

sci.electronics.design.

Reply to
Didi

sci.electronics.design.

No; that will *not* solve the problem. The DRM BS is affecting *all* hardware, meaning that if you want to use it in a reasonably effective manner (or maybe even *use* it at all), then the software must be re-written for each and every piece of hardware, and the writer must then purchase a licence and sign non-disclosure agreements to get the encryption and decryption engines etc.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:55:53 +0000, Robert Baer wrote: ....

Me things it might be good to hang on to those old drives around the house-- we may not like the new drives yet to be released. I might just buy a few cheap DVD drives, IDE drives, before the makers funk with them for Vista; current and older drives should continue to work with linux I should think, right?

--
If you have walked all these days with closed ears and
mind asleep, wake up now! -- Gandalf

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:53:37 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote: ..

My posting signature says it all (wake up world, dump Windows, rebel against Microsoft, MS is really pissing me off these days):

If you have walked all these days with closed ears and mind asleep, wake up now! -- Gandalf

Reply to
Beowulf

What works now should continue to work in the future, unless something breaks or you're using a MICRO$~1 product. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Actually Joel is right on this one. While certainly not all single layer burners can be upgraded, that's not what Joel said. He merely said "many" which is 100% true (note that "many" does not mean "majority" since even 1% of all single layer burners will be in the range of millions). On the other hand, you assertion that "none" can be upgraded is definitely 100% false.

I think you meant to say the "write" head since almost all single layer burners are designed to "read" double layers.

Not "perhaps", it happened. The "few" (in terms of percentage) that were released qualifies as "many" (in terms of total numbers).

This is what Joel said. They would be updatable but the manufacturers decided not to release the update firmware. Instead they merely released the old hardware with new firmware (and maybe some hardware adjustment/improvement) at much higher prices.

Reply to
slebetman

--
Looks like it\'s already started, LOL!

http://www.radio2mp3.com/?hop=myhelphub
Reply to
John Fields

Ay, the good folks who produce Geda and friends need to work over the linux installs better. They spent too much time making MS windows install well.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :-)

In general I think the promise of, "upgradable firmware to protect against obsolescence!" is largely marketing fluff: Occasionally major functionality upgrades do occur, but in general there are just a few bug fixes and minor tweaks added if *anything* happens -- I've owned more than one piece of hardware where there were never any upgrades released.

Starting to get wildly off-topic here:

To a certain extent this is a reflection of our "throwaway" society, and while I can see the long-term problem with that approach, one could also argue that fully expecting to buy a new PC, cell phone, etc. every couple of years does stimulate technological R&D and the economy.

In Penn & Teller's TV show, "Bullshit!" one episode makes the point that a landfill 35 miles square (~80% the size of Rhode Island) by 200 feet deep could contain *all* the trash projected to be generated within the U.S. over the next millenium.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Probably (much) worse than that. They are probably made to deliberately be difficult to access - buried amid glued/plastic-welded parts done that way partly to be cheap to assemble, but at least partly (if not, cynically, entirely) to assure that repairing the thing will not be economical. I've certainly seen that approach in computer peripherals that are designed to fail.

Sure, they have to replace a few sets under warranty that would otherwise be repairable, but they don't have to worry about anyone being perfectly happy with their 10 year old TV in the future business model of selling a new TV every 3 years, and keeping the warrantee down to a year or less.

One more reason to blow up the TV (and not replace it).

Ecnerwal

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:53:35 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." Gave us:

Not if one is running MicroSoft Visual Soldering for Windows Vista! Hehehehe.... ;-] These kids today have it made... The little punks!

Reply to
JoeBloe

This is the Usenet. That is to be expected.

I was reading up on the various technologies used for flat panel TV sets. In the description of LCD sets, one of the cons was that the life of the set was governed by the life of the cold cathode lamps. Huh!? I had a 2.5" LCD TV that I managed to 'rescue' by replacing the lamp (they are a couple of bucks ordered online).

So these wizards are telling us to take an otherwise operational TV set (>$1000) and throw it out when what should be a trivial part to replace* burns out??

  • No doubt, the lamps aren't in some sort of user accessible lamp holder and would require some (shudder!) soldering.
Hanlon\'s Razor:
        Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
        stupidity.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.